Chapter 19 - The Guardian

***

***

Rooted firmly to the spot, he stood there, hoping he was balanced enough to not be knocked off balance by the force emanating from the spell he had cast. Dembe stared straight into the portal opening on the bathroom door, a long black streak of light pulsating through his hands.

"The Light Magick she used is too powerful for me to break through," he muttered, droplets of sweats forming on his forehead. "I need a hand here, Kande."

"The Guardians have really upped their game, huh?" Kande, the female leader, next in order of hierarchy to Dembe, chipped in. She stood small and delicate-featured, making her appear younger than her age. She was pretty — pretty in the most flawed, vulnerable way. But she was not the type to be taken for granted. Her thirst for destruction was higher than any of the five Sentinel DarkBloods in the bathroom.

She moved away from the bathroom mirror she was looking into to stand beside Dembe. She bent down on her knees and touched the floor. The white on her eyes disappeared leaving in its place blackness. When both her hands touched the floor, a crack appeared on the surface as black tree roots grew from them. The tree roots rapidly matched to the portal opening on the door and engulfed them, pushing through the hole but all attempts proved fruitless.

***

"They?"

"The DarkBloods. They found out we opened the Walkthrough portal from the Wild Street Ale House. They tried to come through it but the spell I used to open the portal is too Light for them. They can't get through. That is why they have started attacking from out there."

"Shouldn't we get out of here?" Nia Afriyie queried.

"We cannot interrupt the Walkthrough. You are almost done. Focus on getting through to the end. The portal should hold them off for a while."

"And if-"

"-and if they succeed in breaking through, I will hold them off from out here. Don't worry. Focus in there." Kukua assured.

A sigh softly deflated from Nia Afriyie's mouth as she turned around to look upon her new scenery but what she saw wasn't what she was expecting to see. Not that she had any expectations since she didn't know what was next but she quite didn't expect to see decapitated bodies of people either. In front of her was what looked like a sea of human body parts — legs here, heads there, an ear there and a brain somewhere — and for how it appeared, there were more than twenty decapitated bodies.

"Sadly, the first three chosen LightBloods lost their battle against the DarkBloods and this is what became of their bodies and that of their army. This caused almost the entire lightblood race being wiped out." Kukua paused for a while before continuing. She was still receiving the attacks from the DarkBloods. She had to manage between not getting killed and fulfilling her Guardianship role.