Chapter 9: Mind Dragon

An inferno lit up the middle of the arena, causing the dragons watching to flinch away from the sudden blasting heat. A scream echoed from within the flames, the dragoness caught by them not standing a chance at the raw power of Keagan. The fire drake was hovering in the air, and snapped his jaw shut, cutting off the fire from its source. Tirella lay nearly dead on the ground below. If not for the quick reaction of Pantela, the life dragon leaping up onto the stage in order to heal the acid dragoness, she would have been.

Eldawin watched, a shiver running down his spine. Keagan was not holding back at all. His mind was set upon a single goal, winning the Trial of Talons, and nothing would stop him. It was an unbreakable resolve, one that drove him forward through every victory. It was something Eldawin didn't think he could break through, and now that Keagan knew what the mind-reader could do, he could prepare mentally for the illusions and mind-control tactics he would undoubtedly face.

Pantela's life energy revitalized the acid dragoness. She had put up a good fight against Keagan and had managed to burn his legs and underbelly quite badly with her acid, but the only thing it managed to accomplish was unleashing the full power of Keagan's abilities. Eldawin had felt her pain, felt the burning fire slash through her wings and cripple her mind until it consumed her. That's what Keagan's fire did. Eldawin had felt it himself many times over the years, and now he would be forced to feel it again.

Part of him considered forfeiting the final match. He had already proven himself as far stronger than what everyone had thought he was. But the idea immediately discounted. If he didn't even try to fight simply out of fear, then he would never forgive himself. Besides, Keagan was also slightly afraid of him. Eldawin had seen it in the fire drake's mind. After the mind-reader had controlled Kent, Keagan had been horrified at how his brother had lost and was now fearful that Eldawin would do the same to him. However, the fire dragon had gained some confidence when Timber had managed to resist the mind control.

Eldawin doubted he would be able to control the fire drake. He was too driven, too focused on not wanting to lose. Eldawin had no idea how he was going to win. Keagan's fire was too strong, too explosive. The only way he saw himself doing so would be in an aerial battle, where he had more room to maneuver and had the possibility of landing a good enough strike to knock the other dragon from the air. But it was difficult because Keagan had learned how to set himself on fire, which meant that while Eldawin could claw and bite the other dragon, he would have to let himself be burned in the process.

"Eldawin," a voice broke the mind-reader out of his thoughts.

He looked up, not used to being snuck up on, and was surprised to find Timber sitting down next to him.

"Timber?" the dragon questioned, quickly studying the earth dragon's mind, wondering what he wanted.

"Do you think you can beat Keagan?" Timber asked.

Eldawin hesitated, watching as the fire drake landed on the arena floor. Eldawin glanced at the still unconscious form of Tirella as the acid dragoness was carefully removed from the arena. Keagan saw Eldawin looking at him, and he narrowed his eyes, flicking his tail. Eldawin could feel the anger in him. Keagan had wanted to face Timber in the finale, but now he was stuck against the dragon that he had been forced to fight for years of his life, thinking Eldawin was weak, only to find out that the mind-reader was far stronger than any of them realised. It was like Keagan was flooded with a sense of betrayal.

"No," Eldawin replied honestly, "Maybe if he didn't know what I could do... I would have a chance. But he knows now. Everyone does."

"Have you shown all you can do?" Timber rumbled.