Chapter 21: Hidden Pain

Eldawin felt himself beginning to drift to sleep, the beat of his wings lulling him into a state of exhaustion, making it difficult to keep his eyes open. It was as though all the energy had drained out of him. If it wasn't for the tailwind he doubted he would be able to keep himself as high in the air as he was. Even so, the ground seemed to be getting closer and closer with every passing moment.

The sudden cool brush of a wing against his own shocked him awake for a moment more, and he put extra effort into the next wingbeat, letting out a small growl of surprise as he realised how close he had been to drifting. He looked to his left, seeing a concerned Diara gliding beside him, her silver shell glowing softly in the light. The mirrored surface showed the grey of the clouds above and exaggerated the celestial beams of light cutting through them, giving the shell an odd entrancing brilliance.

"Are you okay?" asked Diara.

"Yeah... just tired," the mind dragon drawled.

Eldawin felt as though he had just flown around the entire world none stop, or at the very least he had the energy of a dragon that had. His muscles weren't sore in the slightest, but every flap felt as though he were dragging a mountain behind him. The power of equilibrium was not something to be used lightly. Still, he didn't understand why he felt so exhausted. Brazen hadn't been this lethargic after he had used his equilibrium, so why did Eldawin feel the way he was. He guessed that it had something to do with experience, or maybe it mattered how long one used the power for. He had been testing it for several hours and had expanded it a great distance in all directions. In hindsight, he reasoned that had to be the cause. He didn't think he would be using such power again unless the situation called for it. If his first experience was anything to go by, he would likely be feeling drained for the next week.

"I told you not to hurt yourself," the dragoness rumbled at him.

"I'm not hurt," he grunted with a chuckle, "Just... tired."

She had flown so she was under his left wing, ready to support him in case his wings gave out. He appreciated the gesture. He appreciated a lot of the things she did. The small smiles she gave whenever they met. Her kindness and trustworthiness. Her determination to one day reach the abilities of her brother. Her dream to see a world where dragons didn't have to hide in fear, but where they could fly the skies freely and without worry. How she continued to push forward despite the pain she had experienced, not letting the fear hold her back like it did so many other dragons. She inspired him like no other dragon ever had. She made him want to fly back into the world and face down the ones that had caused him so much pain.

Eldawin forced himself to push forward a little further as they reached the mountain that he had called his home for the past six months. He rose up and over the edge, Diara close behind, and he dove down toward the cave where he lived. Heat rose from the forest, making him feel lighter, and giving his wings extra lift so he didn't crash into the small outcrop of rock leading into his cave. He did land heavily, grunting as he felt his legs nearly buckle under his own weight. He staggered, nearly falling over when Diara landed beside him, holding him up while he caught his breath, letting out a grunt of her own as he leaned his weight on her.

"Alright, stand up, you're quite heavy you know," she snorted with a small smile.

Eldawin yawned, his white teeth flash as he found the strength within himself to stand upright once again. He shook his body like a dog, trying to get rid of his wariness, but having no such luck.

"I suggest you don't use that power often," said Diara as she watched him.

"I agree," he groaned, "I feel like I've just flown with half the ocean on my back."