Thirty-Five

Sunday seemed like an odd day for a date. We could have done Friday night or anytime yesterday, but he insisted on Sunday and to meet him at work at six. He was probably going to drive us straight from work to wherever the date was, but it would have made more sense for him to come pick me up than anything else. But since it must have been more convenient for me to meet with him, I agreed.

Devon never told me what we were doing, so I wasn't sure what was going to be too overdressed or too under dressed. I pulled on black nylons and a pair of black plaid shorts with red accents, a black tank top and my leather jacket and creepers. It felt dressier, but it was also toned down enough depending on what we would wind up doing.

"Are you sure you don't want to wear a dress?" Jeanie questioned.

Before I could comment, Rick swooped over to her and kissed her cheek. "Let her wear what she wants. You look adorable," he said to me.

"Thank you." I flipped my hair over my shoulder. "At least someone has taste."

"I'm not saying you don't look good," Jeanie defended. "I love this outfit, but it's your first date as boyfriend and girlfriend. Don't you want to look nice for him?"

"It's our first date period," I corrected, "and we haven't even agreed to call ourselves that."

"But you two are together?"

"Yeah."

They both sighed.

"Mel, are you only saying you're not using titles because you don't want to get hurt?" Rick questioned.

"Or because it's going to hurt less in case it doesn't work out?"

"It's because we haven't actually said that we're boyfriend and girlfriend. We're dating, yeah, but that doesn't mean we're like... official official, or anything, you know?" I explained. "I want to ask him if it's okay to call him that, because it is a big deal. I want to make sure we'agree about what we are, and until I ask him, I don't want to assume anything."

"I can't tell if you're being polite or dismissive," Rick snorted, and Jeanie glared at him.

"Ask him tonight. You said it yourself, you like him, and he likes you. If you're going to be in a relationship, you're going to have to communicate." Jeanie stated. "Why do you think dad pissed off? Mom and him never talked, and now he's gone."

"So is mom," I mumbled as I grabbed my purse.

"At least you have me," Jeanie said. "Oh, and before I forget, The Yoncovik Brothers want to film with me next week. What day are you going to be busy on?"

"Busy on?"

"I don't want to plan it for the one night we can actually eat dinner together. I wasn't kidding about wanting to spend time with you before you get busy with your band."

"I start rehearsals on Tuesday," I stated.

"Every Tuesday?"

"Unless changed, yeah. That's the plan."

"Perfect! We'll plan for next Tuesday, and this Tuesday we can talk all about it when you come home."

"Unless I decide to fall asleep the moment I get home."

She scoffed. "Like you can just fall asleep after playing drums. Especially this time when it's going to be your first actual rehearsal."

She wasn't wrong. I could never play drums late at night, or else it'd be impossible for me to fall asleep that night. Talking with Jeanie would allow me to cool off and get sleepy. And thanks to my schedule change, I had a free period in the morning now. I could just sleep in if I had to and walk to school for second period.