Forty

"I shit you not, that had to be one of our best shows in a long ass time," James stated as we walked offstage. He wrapped his arm around my neck and ruffled my hair. "Mel, you were so good! I am so proud of you."

"How come you never say you're proud of me anymore?" Nate playfully pouted.

"Because you're a disappointment to us all," Lucy deadpanned.

"Fuck you."

"Baby, you know I'm proud of you each and every day," James cooed. "But it's Mel's first show with us. We have to build up her confidence."

"Don't worry about me," I said as I peeked out behind the curtain. "Did you hear them as I played my solo? Sorry I played too long-"

"Don't be," Nate stated. "The crowd was loving it, and we need to give them what they love."

"Plus, the zipper got stuck on my back." James shuddered. "You stalled for me, and it worked out well."

"As long as everything worked out." I glanced back out the curtains. My heart pounded in my ears, and my fingers shook softly as I came down from the high. I had been waiting for this night for as long as I could dream of. It was well worth the wait. I couldn't believe how incredible it was. I knew it was going to be good, but, hot damn, I did not expect that. I wanted to relive the moment all over again, but I was going to have to wait for next weekend. And I'd get to do it two days in a row, too.

"Are we allowed to go out on the floor?"

"We are, but..." James looked at Nate and Lucy, who both were equally concerned.

"What?"

"You're still a minor. We'd hate to get in trouble. You're allowed to be here to perform, but if you go out and start talking and dancing, and, God forbid, drinking-"

"I just want to see my family," I said. "Could one of you lead me over there, then?"

"I'll take her," Nate chirped. "It'll be nice to say hi to Brody again."

Nate placed his hand on my back and led me out from behind the curtain. People whooped at us, clapping as he walked past. A few people patted my arm or back, but Nate kept me close. The more people cheered and shouted praise, the more my heart swelled. I was afraid I was going to cry. Thankfully, I made it to the VIP section before I could.

Brody was the first to jump up and tackle me with a hug. I wrapped my legs around his waist and squeezed his neck. "You did so good up there, dear," he whispered, and I clung on even tighter. "Aw, don't tell me you're getting emotional."

"Shut up," I laughed as I pulled away. "Tonight was outstanding. I'm allowed to feel a little emotional."

"I know, I know," he chuckled.

Brody led me to Jeanie and Rick, and we sat up there for half an hour before I had to help the band clear up the stage and pack the van. Since some people recognized Jeanie, we felt it would be better if Brody drove me home to avoid suspicion.

After showering, I flopped onto my bed and grabbed my phone. I had a few text messages from Devon. Jeanie's phone died after the concert, but he was thankfully able to catch the end of the show. I called him instantly.

"I am so proud of you, Mel," he murmured.

"Thank you," I said, unable to fight my smile.

"Your solo was incredible. I loved it. I couldn't breathe as you played."

"If you didn't breathe for three minutes, I'm concerned about your health."

"You have nothing to worry about." He hummed. "There's no way you're not going to make it."