That Bright Red Car

You never really know when you'll die. Unless you're some future-telling wizard or extremely good doctor (or, you know, GOD who doesn't even die!) you have no idea when your human body will decide to quit on you, and your soul disappears into the heavens. You live your life oblivious to the future, all humans do, including me. March 28 was supposed to be a normal day, I'd just hang out with Lydia and John. So, when I was run over by a bright red car in the middle of Promise Parkway, I never expected that would be the day I died.

"Kyle!"

Lydia ran up to me, excited and bright-faced. Her dark brown hair glowed in the orange sunlight as the light filtered through the interwoven strings making the roof of the shade at the front of our school. Promise High School was extremely beautiful today, covering the fact that the teachers there were dreadful and despised the students. As much as I appreciated the staff's efforts to make the school welcoming, the bright and happy appearance didn't convince any human beings within miles that the school was all so great. As Lydia and I entered the building the "School Achievement" board was as empty as it had ever been. The school was not known for its kind employees, as it barely had any. Still, there were a few teachers who were favorited by everyone, such as Mr. Mackenzie.

"Good afternoon Mr. Mackenzie!" I entered the room, bright-eyed and joyful. Mr. Mackenzie taught chemistry in room C41 and was perhaps one of the only teachers who loved their students. The room was full of color and science-related facts, making it the most energetic room in the entire school. Greens and blues lined the walls and he made sure to include work from each student on his wall of ACTUAL achievements. Even the slackers in his class had found their way onto the wall, including John, who was my best friend. Even though he never completed anything until the last day available to work, he had managed to get onto the wall three times in the past month.

"Afternoon Kyle! I hope your day has gone well," he said.

"It certainly has sir!"

Lydia had gone to the bathroom before class, so I went ahead and sat down next to James at table three. He was talking to Alex and Jane from table four. They sat directly across from us and always had something to talk about. Jane was wearing a crop top and jeans with four slits in each leg. She rarely followed the dress code and today she hadn't failed to live up to her name as the worst behaved student in the school.

"Excuse me Jane, but I need you to go to the office to change into a different outfit." Mr. Mackenzie walked up to her, disappointed.

"No." Jane glared at him.

"Jane, we go through this every day. You're on your second to last detention before you are expelled. Please go to the office."

Jane rolled her eyes and grumpily left the room. Mr. Mackenzie sighed as he walked up to his desk to take roll.

"Lyra Abono!"

"Present."

"And here's a present for you!" He handed her a bar of chocolate.

"Kylie Abono!"

"Present!"

"And here's a present for you!"

"Lily Beach!"

"Present!"

I zoned out as he continued to list names. The entire class turned to face the door as Jane, obviously annoyed in her gigantic t-shirt the size of a dress, entered the room, followed close behind by Lydia, who was drenched in water.

"Lydia, my dear, what on earth happened!?" Mr. Mackenzie asked.

"I slipped and fell into the sink as it was running," Lydia responded, glancing slightly at Jane.