[Chapter 15]

Private Airway on the tip of Delaware

May 16

1000 Hours (10:00 AM)

Ben POV

As I stepped on the plane and took a glance around, my eyes nearly popped out of their sockets. The inside of the plane was stunning. The front of the airplane had a huge living room, with couches and T.V's and anything you could imagine. Towards the middle, there was a dining room, with six seats. Behind that there were three hallways, with large, plastic signs hanging above, one saying bathroom, one saying kitchen, and the other saying bedrooms.

They even have a kitchen! This flight is amazing!

I was nudged out of the way, and I turned to see Mike flopping onto a sofa, smiling in contentment, while Zoe sighed and slapped her head. I had to cover my mouth to stop myself from laughing. I saw Erica roll her eyes, and for a second I thought I saw a ghost of a smile covering her mouth before she turned away. After we had stopped grinning at Mike, we went to check out our rooms. Mine had a twin-size bed and a small desk.

Pretty good for an airplane!

Previously all our luggage had been loaded onto the plane's storage compartment, so all I had on me was my backpack. I laid my backpack down in the corner of the room and flopped on the bed. I then took out a framed picture from my backpack. It was a picture of her. Of Jessica.

I sighed. "I miss you, Jessica."

Erica POV

After the plane had taken off and I had settled down in my room, (which was quite comfortable) I decided I was going to talk to Ben. I was going to talk to him about everything. Our relationship. The mission. Everything. I hopped off the bed and walked down the hall to Ben's room. I placed my hand on the doorframe and was about to open it when I heard a voice from inside.

"I miss you, Jessica."

I froze. I tried to pull open the door, but I couldn't. My arms and feet were rooted to the spot. Tears threatened to spring from my eyes when I realized how silly this was. I let go of the door handle and wiped the tears from my eyes.

Why am I crying? Do I care that much about his relationship with Jessica?

I felt my body turn, and I took a step in the direction of my room, then another, and before I knew it I was running. I opened the door of my room and slammed it shut. I jumped onto the bed and buried my face in the pillow.

Thinking about this is going to interfere with the mission. It already has. I let down my guard in the car and forgot to shut the door, so Joshua came in. I can't let it interfere anymore. This is the last straw. No more emotions. From now on, I am the Ice Queen.

Ben POV

I was relaxing in bed when I thought I heard something at my door. I set the picture of Jessica down on the nightstand and slid open the door. There was nobody there, but the outside handle was still half-warm.

Had somebody been standing out here? Did somebody want to see me? Or maybe the noise was just my imagination...

I shrugged the thought off and went back to bed. I don't know how I fell asleep, but with some combination of the sound of the motor, the shaking of the plane, and the fact I had woken up at 2:30 AM today, I drifted off into a dreamless sleep.

It felt it had only been a few seconds when I felt something tap my shoulder. My eye squinted open, and I saw Mike, sitting on the side of the bed, humming while repeatedly tapping my shoulder. I recognized the tune of the hum as Match in the Rain by Alec Benjamin. (I included the video at the top of the chapter)

"What is it, Mike?" I asked, groaning while sitting up.

"It's lunchtime," he responded.

"Already?" I asked.

"Yeah, you were out like a match in the rain," Mike said, grinning at the use of words.

"You are addicted to Alec Benjamin, aren't you," I said, also grinning.

"Is that a problem?" Mike asked.

"Of course not, he's an awesome singer. I'm addicted to him too," I said.

"Let's go to lunch," Mike said, standing up. I nodded and followed him.

Timeskip to lunchtime

Mike, Zoe, and I sat down at the table and were immediately greeted with a lavish display of foods. I could see at least 5 different cuisine choices. Then I realized something.

"Where's Erica?" I asked.

"She'll be here soon," Zoe said dismissively.

Five minutes later, Erica still hadn't come.

"Did someone remind her that it's lunchtime?" I asked.

"I did, and she told me to get out before she threw me out of the plane. She seemed upset about something" Zoe said, with a tinge of worry in her voice.

My eyebrows furrowed.

What was wrong with Erica? She hadn't been acting like herself ever since the trip to McDonald's? Did something happen there? If anything was wrong, she would talk to me, right? I didn't know what was wrong with her, but I knew that if we didn't do something about it soon, it would interfere with the mission...

Hope you enjoyed the chapter!

- Cookie