Chapter 7

((A.N.// Me: So yeah... that was a huge cliffhanger... *stood on ladders putting up decorations* I'm sure loads of you want to kill me right now, but please- no death threats xD Some of you would've noticed something irregular about Kayen's last words to Matt... That will be explained in this chapter xD

Matt: RYUK! SHIT! I'M SORRY!

Mello: IZZY YOU MADE MATT A KILLER!

Me: *laughs awkwardly* About that...

Mello: HMM!?

Matt: EXPLAIN WOMAN!

Me: ...........ENJOY GUYS YOU KNOW THE DRILL! XD

Matt and Mello: IZZY! DON'T MAKE US USE YOUR REAL NAME YOUNG LADY!

Me: :D Like you guys would... xD Oh, and... THANK YOU ALL FOR THE 41 VOTES THIS BOOK HAS! Though... You silent readers... please comment and vote? I'd love to see your opinions of this book xD))

Mello P.O.V.

I heard the gunshots.

I mean, it was impossible to miss them. They echoed down the hallways rapidly like the world's cackles. No, life's cackles. Life and Fate and Destiny were laughing at me, laughing at my uselessness. Even now I don't know why I didn't run after Matt straight away. I sometimes tell myself I had subconsciously decided to stay by Ryuk- I mean, the guy was dying. But there was something good about the gunshots. Something... useful.

It snapped us out of our frozen states.

"Shit shit shit!" I swore loudly and L and Ash rushed over to Ryuk. He gave them a weak smile, before his near-lifeless eyes looked at me. I glanced at the door wanting to investigate the gunshots, but I walked over to Ryuk slowly. My feet felt heavy. My heart felt heavy. My mind was clouded. Maddy pushed past me and grabbed Ryuk's hand, choking on tears, before she looked at us frantically.

"You can do something, right!? You can save him!?" She sounded like she didn't even have any hope... but she wanted some. Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw L shake his head sadly as James backed against a wall, slowly sliding down it with tears in his eyes. He was shaking, his eyes closed and his hands over his ears. I frowned as I noticed he was muttering something to himself, before I realised what he was saying.

"I didn't know, I didn't know, I didn't know... I didn't know..."

Slowly I walked over to him, ignoring the fact Ash was attempting to comfort Maddy who was scared out of her mind because of it. I ignored the fact L was trying to reassure Ryuk that he would not die for no reason. I ignored it all, and focused on the boy. "What didn't you know?"

James snapped his head up to look at me through his tears. "I-I... Kayen's... p-plan..."

I glared at him and leaned down, grabbing his collar and pulling him to his feet. "Plan!?"

He looked away from me, ashamed. "...Killing Test Sub- I mean... killing Matt."

I froze. Time froze. I couldn't hear anything except that sentence for a few seconds before I was back in the room, throwing the kid away from me. "Get out of my sight!" The boy scurried to the other side of the room, stumbling around and tripping up on wires. Everything was quiet for a few seconds except for the ragged breathing of Ryuk. Slowly I turned around and walked to my ally who was dying, grabbing onto one of his hands when I got close. He was already going cold. "Ry... Thank you. For everything. We'll protect Maddy from now on. You can rest easy."

Ryuk gave me a very weak smile. "T-Thanks..." He whispered, blood trialling down his chin and staining his shirt. "...M-Mello...?"

"Yeah..?"