Alternative Epilogue

((For those who dislike my other epilogue.... Suggestive boyxboy, just warning xD))

5 Years Later
Matt P.O.V.

I watched the apartment burn down, dropping the oil can with a single tear falling down my cheek. I could hear them inside- screaming and crying and swearing. Mello's voice stood out the most- pain filled moans of vengeance reiterating through the air like those of a damned lost soul. Next was Nicks- little Nicholas- voice. It was a terrified scream that pierced the twilight sky and made the clouds flood over. The girls had been quiet for some time. I thought they were already dead.

My heart was thundering in my chest, but I took a deep breath; turned away; walked away.

I was alone.

They were all dead.

I have never felt such peace.

...No, I'm sorry, that isn't how my story ends. I thought ending it on some negative note would make you appreciate the shit we all went through trying to get to this point- all the loss, all the fear.. all the terror. But no. We're not dead.

Mello strutted over to me from the other side of the apartment, a huge grin on his face. "Just put Nick to bed."

"Thank fuck." I laughed quietly as I put my hands behind my head, a teasing smile on my lips. "For an 8 year old, he's really hyperactive."

"Aren't all kids?" He sat beside me, a smirk prepared on his lips, "I mean, you were."

Scoffing, I reached over and interlinked our fingers. "And you weren't? I remember when you ate all that chocolate and went on a sugar rush, running around and thinking you could fly."

Mello laughed. His hand squeezed mine. "Yeah right, I don't remember that!"

"Because you passed out from the sugar crash!" I pulled him slightly closer to me with his hand.

"Picture or it's bullshit Matt!"

We grinned at each other as Mello's free hand ruffled my hair before it slid down my cheek.
***
So yes, we were all fine. Maddy had taken a shining to L who officially- or as officially as we could now- adopted her a couple of years ago. Ash and BB were as crazy as ever- but now had little black haired toddlers dotting around. Harmony was practically Mello's sister- she helped us look after Nick now and again when we needed privacy. The kid (Nick of course) started to call her Aunty Harmony, or Aunt Har for short.

We were fine.

We were alive.

Throughout it all, we finally found a safe place. We found a world away from the disasters outside. It was dangerous and it was potentially our lives at stake if we got caught-

But we didn't care.

If it wasn't for some archaeology by looking in the past to keep moving forward, psychology to keep our minds in control, sociology to make our new family and criminology to save my life...

We wouldn't be here.

And I wouldn't change it for the world.