OLD VERSION Chapter 17

A door slams and my eyes shoot open. The world is tilted. I fell asleep. "I knew the door would wake you up." I jump into the passenger's side. Aiden sits in the driver's seat, his hands resting low on the wheel. We're parked in a gas station. Doug is at the pump, tapping his fingers on the bed of the truck. I look at Aiden's shoulder.

There is a small patch of drool on his jacket. Oh dear God.... "Why didn't you wake me up?" I demand.

"You're body needs rest, why would I wake you up?"

I open the passenger door and jump out. I face Aiden, on hand gripping the door, "I don't make a habit of sleeping on people I don't like." I slam the door as hard as I can and then walk over to Doug. I lean against the truck and stare at the numbers on the pump as they roll higher.

"Is everything alright?" Doug asks.

No everything is not alright, I fell asleep while I should have been focusing. I fell asleep on Aiden's shoulder. I drooled on him. I drop my face into my hands. "Peachy."

Doug chuckles and I lift my head to glare at him.

"What?"

"Nothing, it's just...I forgot how fun young people are."

"Don't make me hate you."

He chuckles again and pulls out a small wad of cash, "Here, I already paid for the gas, why don't you buy us some snacks for the road. You best use the bathroom too while we're stopped."

I take the money from him and look at the store. There's no one else here, but I still don't feel safe going inside, I look at Doug. "Is it a good idea?"

He shrugs, "I doubt this old place even has a radio connected to the outside world. Besides, we're not in the woods anymore. People will see us either way. We just have to hope we don't look terribly conspicuous."

I look at the little store. The place is empty except for us and through the glass I see a lone woman sitting behind the counter smoking a cigarette. I look at Doug, "It seems I'm taking a lot of risks these days."

Doug's eyebrows knit together, "What do you mean?"

I stuff my hands into my jacket. "I don't know, I thought I was a careful person, and you'd think I'd learn from my mistakes. But I can't seem to stay away from people, all I can do is see what they are capable of and I hold out hoping for the best in them." I push off the truck and wave my hand, dismissing the thoughts.

The store smells of cigarettes, and despite how the smoke scratches my throat I force a smile at the lady behind the counter. She smiles back, though I don't think it's genuine. I use the co-ed bathroom in the back. I don't let any part of my body touch the toilet. I flush with my foot and wash my hands. The paper towel dispenser is empty. I look around. Even though I'm already sure the bathroom is empty. I count my breaths, and focus on the water clinging to my fingers and picture it all dripping off, leaving my fingers dry. I hold that image in my mind, and keep counting.

Eleven.

Twelve.

Thirteen.

And then it works. Without me asking, without me pleading, the water drips into the sink and my hands are left dry.

I smile and look into the mirror, my own face surprises me. Incredible how a person can change in such a short time, my hair is uneven and darker. My face is pulled tight, my body thinner, scars peek out at me from wherever my skin is exposed. The smile drops off my lips.

I reach up and press my fingers to the glass. Even my eyes seem darker. "Adie." My name doesn't fit my face anymore.

This is what they've done to you.