NEW VERSION Chapter 11

When the water runs out the man places a soft blanket over my body. I feel the fabric against my skin, but my back has gone numb so the pain doesn't register. It's a relief, even it were permanently numb I would not complain. "Rest for a bit, I'll be back for you," he says. I hear the cell door open and shut loudly, and then all is quiet. I press my cheek against the floor and let the cool of the concrete seep into fevered skin. I let out a deep breath and my body shuts down. My body flinches when the door opens again some time later. I'm not sure how long I've slept but my brain feels fuzzy and my body is heavy.

"Are you awake?" the voice calls.

"Yes," I lick my lips.

"Good, I've brought you some clothes. It's not much but it's all I could find that would fit you," he tells me.

"I don't know if I can..." I say embarrassed. My back isn't hurting, but I can feel the effect of the blood I lost. I feel the drain on my body and mind from my injuries. I want to curl up and go back to sleep, but I refuse my body that luxury because I am beginning to understand what this man is offering. I know that even if it means walking through hell and dying I will take the risk.

"Let me help you," he says softly.

He helps me sit up and despite the fact that I'm almost one hundred percent positive that he can't see anything he keeps the blanket draped over my shoulders. The act of human decency brings tears to my eyes. The pants are too big and are made of a rough fabric, but he loops a belt around my waist so they hold. He helps me into a shirt that's also a size too large and then pulls a hoodie over my head, it smells like a man's soap and the sleeves fall past my hands. But for the first time in a long time, I feel like a real person.

"I couldn't find any shoes," he says apologetically.

"It's fine," I assure him. I've forgotten what it's like to be warm and immediately the clothes trap the heat of my body against my skin. I groan from the pleasure of being able to feel my fingers.

"There's one more thing," his voice is still hushed even though we are alone in a concrete cell. "I'm going to give you a shot; it's going to work against the drug they've been giving you." I'm not sure what drug he's talking about but I say 'ok' anyway. I don't care what he does. I just want to get out of here. I hardly feel the small prick of the needle on my arm.

"Can you walk?" he asks.

"I don't think so," I hate admitting it, but I'm afraid if I try to take a step I'll just topple over like a broken doll and shatter.

"Wait here a moment," he says and the door screeches open. "I think it will be best if I carry you." He pushes his back to my chest and I wrap my arms around his neck. His hands secure themselves to my legs to help keep me up. My back is still oddly numb but I get the feeling it's just an illusion, that at any moment my body and mind will realize it's supposed to screaming in pain. I'm too tired to keep my head up so I drop my chin against the strangers shoulder. The collar of his jacket tickles my cheek and I take in the warm of another human being.

He runs as fast as he can with me on his back. But from the way his footsteps fall I can tell he's making good time. He stops randomly to check and make sure it's clear before he takes off again. His breath remains strong and steady and his muscles bunch and loosen under his jacket. His footsteps turn to echoes and he slowly sets me onto the floor. I sway unsteadily on my feet. "Stay here, I'm going to make sure it's clear." I lean against a wall and listen to sound of scrapping metal. Then the sound of running water reaches me followed by a splash. It doesn't sound deep but the sound fills me with a comforting sensation of peace.