OLD VERSION Chapter 5

The hospital makes Henry stay for two days. Gretchen drags me home in the old Cadillac that used to come out only for Sunday drives. She cooks meals and takes them the Henry, but I'm forced to stay home. Jack at least, makes for good company. He doesn't boss me around or tell me to clean something or call me Misfit. Most of the time he just sits with me in the kitchen where the sun shines onto the floor and I pet him. Occasionally I'll put on a hoodie and we'll walk to the barn and feed the sheep. Jack watches them intently, but their already in a pen and there is no need for him to herd and chase them. So to get his energy out I throw an old ball in the field for him. I make sure I through it down a hill so it take more energy for him to bring it back.

There's been no sign of Missy. We think she might've fallen into the river and been swept away, but there's a part of me that can't be sorry for it. She didn't like me anyway, I'm just glad Jack is alright. When my fingers are cold and wet with dog slobber we head back to the house. I warm up a plate of food that Gretchen left for me and pour a few cups of food into Jack's bowl. We eat together in silence, and when I eat my fill I put the plate on the ground and let Jack have the rest. Gretchen would blow a blood vessel if she saw it. I smile and clean my dishes and put them away in their proper place. Wow that was so hard Gretchen, I'm so glad you never made me to that before.

 Jack follows me to the hallway and I pick up the phone and call Trish. I sit on the stairs and Jack lies down next to me so I can pet him easily with my free hand. The phone is picked up on the second ring. It's not who I'm hoping for.

"Hello?"

                "Can I talk to Trish please?"

                There's a snicker and through the phone I hear a door close, which means from where the phone is situated, he's gone into the coat room for some privacy. I'm tempted to hang up. "Nice of you to call."

                "Just give the phone to Trish."

                "Ask me nicely."

                "Please."

                "No." 

                "Fine, Bye."

                "Wait, I heard about Henry. I'm sorry."

                "Whatever."

                "Hey listen, just because you're a freak doesn't mean I want anything bad to happen to Henry or Gretchen, they're good people. Just make sure you don't do something stupid to kill them."

                "I-am-not-a-Misfit."

                "Whatever you say...have you given any thought to my offer?"

                "You can stick up a piece of ice for all I care."

                "Is that an invite?"

                "JUST PUT TRISH ON THE FUCKING PHONE!" I yell through the receiver. Jack lifts his head and growls at my distress. I wish Tyler were standing here, I'd tell Jack to rip him to shreds.

                "Um, yea, hi?" It's Trish's voice.

                "Oh...hi...sorry...when did you get here?"

                "Just now, Tyler handed me the phone. Here give me second, I'll switch to the cordless and go upstairs." A few seconds later Trish is back. "Can you hear me?"