OLD VERSION Chapter 16

The cabin smells like meat and fire and spice. But it's lovely none the less because it's someone's home, and I've been invited inside. It's all one room except for the small closet sized bathroom. The stranger throws a couple of logs onto the fire and sits down in his chair, putting the gun against the wall. "Should I close the door?"

He looks at me, "Is your friend coming?" I shrug. "Then go ahead, it's unlocked if they change their mind."

I do as he asks and stand, unsure what to do. I look around, there is a bed built into the wall with a little ladder climbing up to it. Shelves are built in underneath it, lined with books and jars of food. Everything is made of wood and looks hand carved; the kitchen is full of old appliances that probably work better than the new ones. There is something heating on the stove, I catch a whiff of spice when it hisses.

"Don't just stand there, come sit and get warm by the fire. I don't bite, I promise." I go and sit on a little wooden stool by the fire and put my bag between my legs. The fire kisses my face and chases away the cold in my nose and ears.

"So, you're a runaway, huh?"

I nod.

"You a Misfit?"

I open my mouth, the door slams open and we both turn to see Aiden standing there. His bag over one shoulder, he must have gone to retrieve it. "Let's go." He says, "Right now."

"No. I'm getting warm."

He glares at the stranger. "You both Misfits?"

"Right now." He says without looking at me.

"No. He was just asking a question." I don't know why I feel that I can trust this man, but I do.Aiden doesn't move and the stranger sighs, "Either come inside or leave, but could you please close the door, you're letting a draft in."

Aiden hesitates, but he steps in and closes the door. But he doesn't move towards us, he stays, back against the door, ready to escape at any moment.I turn to the man, "The answer is yes."

Aiden chokes on his breathe, "Adie!" He shouts a warning then sucks in another breath, realizing he's just given my name away on top of it all. "Damn it." He swears.

The stranger chuckles, "You've got nothing to worry about from me. I knew the answer anyway."

I look him in the eyes and study his face. He's got light blue eyes and dark hair hidden under his red cap. His flannel shirt and jeans are worn but well taken care of. His demeanor is relaxed despite the fact that earlier he was shouting at us with a gun in his hands. "How?" I ask.

The stranger lifts his hands and makes a large circle with his finger, outlining my body in the air, "Because of that."

I raise an eyebrow, "What?"

"You're connection. I can see it plain as day." He looks at Aiden, "You too."

I remember the aura I saw when I first met Aiden. I look at him now, but there is nothing there, he stands white and stiff at the door. I turn back to the man. There isn't anything around him either. "Does that mean you're...like us?" I ask.

A soft smile touches his lips when he looks at me, and then a blue aura pushes away from his body, but it's faint, like it's barely holding onto him. Then it disappears again. Aiden steps closer, "Who are you?"

"My name is Doug, and I think you can safely call me your friend."

"My name is Adie, and that's Aiden. How are you here? How have you not been picked up by the Handlers?" I ask, he must be at least forty, and yet he lives here in his own little cabin without harassment.