Chapter 10: Chasing along the Pitch!

"So, what's wrong with her?" Harry asked as he and Ron walked in the hallways after finishing up their classes.

Dumbledore had convinced Harry not to go looking for the Mirror of Erised again and for the rest of the Christmas holidays the Invisibility Cloak stayed folded at the bottom of his trunk. Harry wished he could forget what he'd seen in the Mirror as easily, but he couldn't.

He started having nightmares. Over and over again he dreamed about his parents disappearing in a flash of green light while a high voice cackled with laughter.

Y/N, on the other hand, was no longer having the same dream of her parents- but, even worse, the guilt over the fact that she even wished for that monster, she had as a 'father' to return, was eating her alive. As a result of which- she often locked herself in her room, stopped for the usual evening rendezvous with Ron and Harry and no longer researched for Flamel.

This worried both Harry and the Weasleys, with Harry's mind still lingering on the question Dumbledore had asked him- about what Y/N had seen in the mirror.

So Harry, both worried and curious about his friend, one day, after class- on the way to their dormitory, asked Ron, about her.

"Nothing really, she's been in the family since I was three- her family had abandoned her on our doorstep. At first, Mum and Dad had no idea whether she even was a wizard- before she managed to managed to accidentally levitate Dad's sock by stealing his wand." Ron remarked.

Harry chuckled, "Sounds like her.. What do you think she saw in the Mirror?"

"Probably becoming a Curse-breaker or something.. Geez, she's been dreaming about it ever since Bill gave her a copy of some book by a Patrica Rakepick."

Harry said nothing- but something told him that she couldn't be dreaming about a successful career.. but who knew?

"Oi Harry! Ron! Wood and the rest are calling all the first year Gryffindors to the Quidditch pitch! Hurry!" Seamus called out, running past them.

Sharing a confused look, they reached the Quidditch pitch that afternoon to see Oliver Wood and the rest of the team eyeing the Gryffindors carefully like a hawk.

"What's wrong?" Harry whispered to Y/N beside him, who almost jumped on noticing him for the first time ever since the class begun.

"Remember Alicia Spinnet? One of the chasers on the team?" She asked to which he nodded, "She's still injured after the last match and another match is coming up-"

"So they're looking for a potential chaser?" Harry completed, "-But why from among the first years?"

"Ever since you've made it to the team, Wood's been inclined to choosing another player from the first years, he thinks we've got potential."

"So.. everyone's trying out?"

"Not everyone. Only who want to-" She noticed Ron's starstruck expression, "-you should enter Ron."

Harry noticed some people missing, including Hermione, Neville and many more. Wood had called him out to stay with the him as he was a part of the team. So, he sat there, along with Fred and George who kept on cheering Y/N, paying no attention to Ron, on purpose just to annoy him. One by one- everyone tried to catch the Quaffle from the two chasers- Katie and Angelina who were on the team and into one of the hoops. But it seemed impossible to them- They all had failed miserably. All until Y/N. Somehow, she had managed to snatch the Quaffle from Angelina and thrown it with all her force into one of the hoops, barely missing Wood by an inch.

"AYY! Wicked!" Fred yelled in excitement, giving George a high-five who cheered loudly as well. Y/N turned crimson with embarrassment while Katie complimented her and Wood gave her a proud smile. The first-year boys who had failed seemed bitter, half in disbelief, half in awe. Even Harry cheered for her.