Chapter 18: Through the Trapdoor.

"If you want to go back, I won't blame you," he said. "You can take the Cloak, I won't need it now."

"Shut up."

"Don't be stupid."

"We're coming with you."

Harry gave them a smile and pushed the door open.

As the door creaked, low, rumbling growls met their ears. All three of the dog’s noses sniffed madly in their direction, even though it couldn’t see them.

"What’s that at its feet?" Hermione whispered.

"Looks like a harp," Y/N answered,"Snape must have left it there."

"It must wake up the moment you stop playing," said Harry.

"Well.. here goes-" the H/C haired girl put the flute to her lips and blew.

It started playing a low tune, which came out rather shakily, but from the first note the beast’s eyes began to droop.

She hardly drew breath. Slowly, the dog’s growls ceased- it tottered on it's paws and fell to its knees, then it slumped to the ground, fast asleep.

"Keep playing," Ron warned Y/N as they slipped out of the Cloak and crept towards the trapdoor. They could feel the dog’s hot, smelly breath as they approached the giant heads.

"I think we’ll be able to pull the door open," said Ron, peering
over the dog’s back. "Want to go first, Hermione?"

"No, I don’t!"

"All right." Ron gritted his teeth and stepped carefully over the dog’s legs. He bent and pulled the ring of the trapdoor, which swung up and open.

"What can you see?" Harry asked.

"Nothing- just black- there’s no way of climbing down, we’ll just have to drop."

He looked at Hermione, who looked equally hesitant as him.

Y/N purposely played a loud note and sent them a distressed look, which basically screamed 'hurry up'-

Harry turned back towards the two, "I'll go first."

"Are you sure? We don't know how deep this thing goes." said Ron.

Harry nodded and climbed over the dog, looking through the trapdoor.

There was no sign of the bottom.

He lowered himself through the hole until he was hanging on by his fingertips.

Then he looked up at Ron and said, "If anything happens to me, don’t follow. Go straight to the owlery and send Hedwig to Dumbledore, right?"

"Right," said Ron.

"See you in a minute, I hope.."

And Harry let go. Cold, damp air rushed past him as he fell down, down, down and-

FLUMP! With a funny, muffled sort of thump he landed on something soft.

He sat up and felt around, his eyes not used to the gloom. It felt as though he was sitting on some sort of plant.

"It’s OK!" he called up to the light the size of a postage stamp which was the open trapdoor. "It’s a soft landing, you can jump!"

Ron looked at Hermione, "Don't forget about Y/N."

"Of course, I won't forget about her, you doofus."

He jumped. He landed sprawled next to Harry.