Chapter 4: Flying Lessons.

That evening, all the Gryffindors and Slytherins rushed down to the smooth lawn, on the opposite side of the grounds to the Forbidden Forest, whose trees were swaying darkly in the distance.

Broomsticks, which were old and their twigs stuck out in odd angles, were lying in a neat row, beside every student.

Their teacher, Madam Hooch, arrived. She had short, grey hair and yellow eyes like a hawk.

"Well, what are you all waiting for?" she barked. "Everyone stand by a broomstick. Come on, hurry up."

They did as she had asked, as she continued, "Stick out your right hand over your broom," called Madam Hooch at the front, "and say, 'Up!' "

"UP!" Everyone shouted.

Harry's broom fell into his hand immediately, and so did Y/N's and they shared a small smile. Ron and Hermione struggled beside them.

As he repeated the word, Ron's broom rose all at once, and hit him straight in the nose, "OW!"

Harry and Y/N chuckled as he said, "Shut up, you two."

Madam Hooch, then, showed them how to mount their brooms without sliding off the end, and walked up and down the rows, correcting their grips.

"Now, when I blow my whistle, you kick off from the ground, hard," said Madam Hooch. "Keep your brooms steady, rise a few feet and then come straight back down by leaning forwards slightly. On my whistle?, three, two–"

But Neville, nervous, jumpy and frightened of being left on the ground, pushed off hard before the whistle had touched Madam Hooch's lips.

"Come back, boy!" she shouted, but Neville was rising straight upwards, his scared white face look down at the ground falling away, then a gasp, he slipped sideways off the broom and-

WHAM – a thud and a nasty crack and Neville lay, face down, on the grass, in a heap.

Madam Hooch ran towards him and bent over Neville, her face as white as his.

"Broken wrist." She muttered. "Come on, boy, it's all right, up you get."

She turned to the rest of the class, "None of you is to move while I take this boy to the hospital wing! You leave those brooms where they are or you'll be out of Hogwarts before you can say 'Quidditch' Come on, dear."

Neville, his face tear-streaked, clutching his wrist, hobbled off with Madam Hooch, who had her arm around him.

No sooner were they out of earshot than Malfoy burst into laughter.

"Did you see his face, the great lump?"

The other Slytherins joined in.

Y/N narrowed her eyes, dangerously, "Shut up Malfoy."

"Ooh, sticking up for Longbottom?" said Pansy Parkinson, a hard-faced Slytherin girl. "Never thought you'd like fat little cry babies, Y/N."

Y/N raised her wand, her glare intensifying, "Say that again and I'll make sure you turn into a fat, crybaby for the rest of the year, too."

Pansy turned red in the face and took a step back, as Malfoy picked up Neville's glittering Remembrall, "Look! It's the stupid thing Longbottom's gran sent him!"

"Give it back, Malfoy!" Harry said.

Everyone stopped to watch, as Malfoy's nasty smirk only grew.

"Think I'll leave it somewhere for Longbottom to collect, how about, up a tree?"

"Give it here!" Harry yelled, but Malfoy had leapt on to his broomstick and taken off.