Chapter 16

I stood in the training room with the other two boys. Death stood in front of us, speaking words that flew into my ear and out the other. I wasn't listening to what he was saying.

"Ehem!" Death coughed, pulling me away from my thoughts. "As I was saying."

He continued talking while I stayed in my mind. I didn't care about whatever Death was saying. I never really saw him as a father. He was just a ghost. One minute he's there, and then he's gone. He calls us his children but never bothered to take care of us. I mean, sure, we're sheltered, fed, and clothed but that was it. Being so deep in my thoughts, I didn't realize Death was already gone. 

A hand waved in front of my face.

 "Justin!" Nick called.

I looked at him with my brows raised, "What?"

"Let's go and get out of here." He nodded his head at the door.

I nodded in agreement and walked side by side with Nick.

I sighed, "This whole training idea is bullshit." 

Nick scoffed, "Agreed. But we can't run away from it."

I looked at him and tsked, "We're like his puppets with unbreakable strings. I'd rather be dead than continue living with him."

He chuckled, "Stop being such a sour-puss man. You need to chill your tatas."

"Whatever," I said, hands in my pockets. "I want a normal life though."

Nick sighed, "I missed my old one. I remember Vic, Mike, and I would run around. Their mother chased us when we didn't do our chores. She had great aim."

I smiled, "Getting hit by your parents as punishment. Classic."

"There was a time when Mike had a mark on his ass for like two days. We teased him about it." Nick laughed.

"With the amount of ear pulling I had, I'm surprised they're still attached." 

He snickered, "Maybe that's why you barely listen."

I rolled my eyes, "Very funny."

"I can't believe Death ordered you to stay away from Dri. That's tragic." 

I furrowed my brows, "I did nothing wrong. It should be Luke. They look like nothing but a couple."

"Someone sounds jealous! Remember that time I placed a hand on her shoulder?"

I glared at him, "You can't be serious. "

"What? It's true." He shrugged innocently, "Besides, they're siblings like how we're siblings."

Nick and I walked around the castle as usual. It was a routine given to us by Death. We used to be lazy, not wanting to do this. We finally decided to do it after listening to Death read literature. If we dozed off, he'd reread the same page. I was the one that always fell asleep. Nick would have to kick my shin to keep me awake. If only you saw the bruises I'd get from him.

-

An hour after breakfast, we were in the training room staring at Death. 

"Kinder, Willkommen!" He shouted, smiling as he clasped his hands together.

"Today is your first training lesson! Thee shall understand how to control mentally, physically, expanding, and shall not misuse thy gifts."

He gave us a nod. Nick and I stepped forward, taking our places next to Death. Calum hesitated before standing beside us. Our siblings exchanged confused looks. 

"These gentlemen will be thy mentors. They hast knowledge of their abilities and shall guide thee all to thy owneth. I wouldst admire if none of thee shall become distracted by mine own decision of mentors."

He lightly smiled at them, "Bis bald!"

He turned to face us, giving us a quick stare, then he left without another word. Nick stood where Death was. 

"I know this is shocking and confusing for everyone. Cal, Justin, and I didn't want this. But, here we are."

I cleared my throat, "Today, we're going over basic abilities. You may have used them, but not in the way we use ours."

"In the past, you have used them for fun. Now, it's time to get serious. Your powers will save you. Be determined. Prove Death that he underestimated us." Calum told them. 

"Form yourselves into the circle from that day," Nick ordered. "You are placed in a spot where those beside you compliment your powers. Today, you'll practice individually. Soon, you'll practice together. We'll be powerful."

Staring at my siblings, I didn't bother reading their minds to know what they were thinking.