Chapter 9

The next day, I wandered about the castle in the very early morning. I greeted the maids and chefs, as you can only see them before we even step foot out of our rooms. The chef offered me an apple pastry and a pizza bread roll, which I gladly accepted. I continued walking around the castle, letting my feet take me wherever they felt like going. I took my time eating the pastry, as I would rather savor the moment than gobble it down and head back to the kitchens.

I walked into a room of the tower that faced the view of the mountain. I was quietly humming a song as I ate, unaware of the figure that was already in the room as well. I jumped in surprise, staring at the side of his face that looked deep into the mountain view. His right arm resting on his propped knee. I smiled to myself and skipped toward him. He jumped at the sight of me, shocked as he thought he'd be the only one here alone. I laughed hard, careful not to crush the food.

"You're up and early. A very rare moment." I teased, biting into my pastry. I sat near him on the window bench.

Justin rolled his eyes, "So are you."

"Ah, indeed I am. But the real Justin wouldn't wake up this early." I laughed, "Who are you?"

Justin stared at me and went back to looking out the window. My smile faltered a bit, but I held it in place.

"Here, have a pizza bread roll. Chef offered it to me but looks like you need it more than I do. Food makes people happy and brings comfort." I smiled, stretching my arm out for him to take the bread.

He stared at the bread, and for a moment I thought he wouldn't take it and was about to retrieve my arm back, but he did. He took a bite and went back to staring out the window again. I kept my arms to my sides and frowned. We sat in complete silence, the only sound to be heard was the outside breeze. He finished the last piece, dusting his hands to get the crumbs off his fingers. Another silent moment later, Justin stood up, giving me a quick stare before walking out of the room. Not even a thank you, I thought. I started to feel an ache in my heart, pain. I began punching my chest, hoping the pain would disappear.

Tears rolled down my cheeks and I silently cried. I don't even know why I'm crying. I was fine and then the next minute I'm crying. I continued to punch my chest until I had enough, wiping my tears and the tracks they made off my cheeks. I stood up from the window bench, taking in deep breaths before walking out of the room, sniffling in hopes that no one heard me. Fortunately, they didn't. I continued walking to the dining hall and proceeded to take my seat. Justin was there in his but dared not to look at me.

"Good dawning, my children. How now, to you all? I will not be home for a week at most. Care for thyself and others." Death announced, signaling us to begin breakfast.

Everyone began eating, and talking amongst each other while I hid my pain and pretended everything was fine. I ate berry waffles, ham sausage, and mango pie, finishing it all with a glass of fruit juice. I waited about a minute for my stomach to digest, before getting up and walking to Death as usual to permit my leave. Walking out of the hall, I bumped into Jack, Gabe, and Nick coming in late to breakfast most likely from a hangover. They ruffled my hair and smiled at me while greeting a "Good morning." I laughed and greeted them back, continuing my walk. 

I took many turns, humming to myself in order to forget what happened with Justin. I didn't want to overthink so I kept going. I walked inside the library to find it empty. I took a seat on the swivel recliner by the fireplace, staring intensely at the fire. Moving side to side, I slowly fell into a warm sleep. I woke up and looked at the grand clock that hung above the fireplace. I slept for three hours. I stretched and looked at the big glass window that showed snowflakes falling from the white sky. I stood up from my seat and walked out of the library. Turning a corner, I bumped into someone and fell down. Looking up, it was Justin staring down at me.

"Sorry,  I should've paid attention to where I was going." I offered a smile, to which he didn't return and made me lower mine.

"Yeah, should've." He scoffed, walking away.

I felt the same pang in my chest as I originally did this morning. Staring at the floor, I pulled my knees up to my chest and breathed heavily so I wouldn't cry. I did this a few more times, before getting up by myself. Just because Justin gave me the cold shoulder I start acting like this. I rolled my eyes and walked. I did nothing to Justin and if I have done something to offend him, he would confront me on what I did. If he doesn't want to talk about it, then I guess we're just going back to how we were when I first arrived. Distant.

-

After dinner, everyone headed to the lounge room to watch a movie. I sat next to Krissy, patting her head and earning a glare from the older girl. I mocked her glare and looked forward at the screen. It was a Korean film titled, "A Werewolf Boy."  It's about a family who moves to the countryside due to the eldest daughter's condition. While there, the eldest daughter discovers a mysterious boy that lives in a barn next to their home. The ending scene rolled in. As she leaves the boy, I let out a few tears and wiped them. I glanced around and noticed a few others were crying. 

We called it a night and headed to the bedroom hall to do our usual routine. Once I reached my room, I beelined for my bed and cried out tears. I didn't know Korean films can impact you really hard. I should really watch more. I rinsed my body and changed into a silk nightgown, braiding my hair. Although it was already curfew, I couldn't really fall asleep. I felt out of it and kept awake at night. I blamed it on my period, but there was just something more than my period. I got up from my vanity set and to my record player. I lay on my bed, singing along quietly to the song.

Within my heart

I know I will never start

To smile again

Until I smile at you