Chapter 14

After they left, I waited a few minutes before trying to find Justin. I ran into another hall before I felt an arm grab onto mine and forcefully turn me around.

"What do you think you're doing?" Justin interrogated. 

I stared into his eyes, "What's it matter to you?"

"Why are you looking for me?" He narrowed his eyes.

"Who said I was?" I furrowed my brows, playing dumb. 

He rolled his eyes, "Your thoughts are pretty loud. Thanks for calling me 'a little bitch'."

I fake smiled, pulling my arm out of his grip. "You're welcome."

He sighed, "What do you want from me?"

I crossed my arms and cleared my throat, "What was that all about? Earlier with Frostbite and Nick."

He copied my pose, "What do you mean?" 

"You know exactly what I mean."

He pursed his lips, "Stay out of it. I don't need another trying to butt in my business."

"Well, I'm curious." I squinted my eyes at him.

"Curiosity killed the cat." He told me.

"Satisfaction brought it back." I countered. 

He hollowed out his cheeks and shook his head.

"There's no way in winning with you, huh?"

I shrugged and didn't answer, to which he huffed at. 

"Alrighty, then. Let's go somewhere else safer."

Before I could even ask, Justin tugged on my arm and pulled me to wherever. He cautiously checked each hall before we walked through them, and entered a vacant room. The same room where he ignored me. He sat down first by the window bench and nodded his head, gesturing me to sit down. I sat down distant from him. He bit the inside of his cheek and looked out the window. It felt like déjà vu. He looked at me and I felt awkward. 

"It just had to deal with my attitude and being an asshole because of the task I was given. Which is stupid. Another reason was that Nick and I have been keeping a secret from everyone. I can't say it yet, but everyone will know very soon." He explained. 

I slightly nodded my head, "Why did Nick even ask about Frostbite having a family?"

"We protect each other, remember? Just like what a family should be doing. Protecting your blood, not spilling it." 

I stared at the ground, swinging my legs back and forth. "Who gave you the task of being an asshole and distant to me? You're nicer and somewhat distant from everyone else. But to me? It's like I woke up in another dimension that brought me back to the old us."

He stared at the window again, "I wish I could say it but out of cowardice and your safety, I can't."

"Please? I know this is nonsense. I know I said I 'promise' but this time, I full-on promise I won't bother you." I begged, shifting my eyes at him.

"Death." He said simply.

"Why would he-"

He cut me off, "The old man cares about reputation."

I scoffed, "Just because of what happened a few years ago? Seriously, you're right that is stupid."

"It's due to this newfound attachment. Something that was evolving and now discovered."

"Attachment? What attachment?" I inquired. 

"You're smart. It's not that hard to solve." He lazily smiled.

I quirked my lip and sighed. 

"I don't know why I'm the one supposed to separate." He scoffed, "You and Luke cuddle around in front of all of us. Should be given to him." 

"Jealous much?" I giggled.

He blankly stared at me, "Never mind."

I shook my head, "You wouldn't be jealous if you hadn't shoved a stick up your ass and tried being nice to me in the beginning. Plus, Luke is one of the people I am close with. He's my big brother and I'm his little sister. That's all."

He snorted, "Sure."

"It's true." I glared.

"You don't have Cal's powers to prove it." He mocked.

I huffed, "Neither do you."

"Keep the PDA level low please. Might vomit from it." He approached.

"Luke and I are nothing. No intimacy at all." I reasoned.

"Whatever you say." 

I growled and used my foot to kick his. 

"You're so short." He chuckled.

I rolled my eyes, "Thanks for the obvious fact."

"Embrace it. It's a good thing." He consoled. 

"Thanks." I quietly said.

"What happens if Death finds out we're socializing again?" I asked.

"I don't know. But I don't want to risk anything. He's calm, sometimes quiet, but his anger is surprising." He confessed.

"If we walk out that door, we're going to ignore each other this time?" I questioned.

"I don't want to though." He whispered.

I coughed, changing the subject. "We're going to be junior reapers tomorrow. Can you believe that?"

He hummed, "I guess."

"I don't think I can do it," I told him.

"Hey, I'm positive you can do it. You just need to grab hold onto the courage that never left you, and motivation from yourself and those who love you." 

I sighed, "I'll try."

"I've had it worse." His voice cracked, "Don't forget."

I pursed my lips, "I'm sorry."

"Forgiven." 

He smiled and I responded the same.