BEING FRIENDS

As I was just about to sleep, my phone beeped indicating a new message was received.

From: PASALOAD

30pesos has been loaded to 0921******* from 0928*******.

I scanned my phonebook for the sender's number but it didn't show in the list. I assumed Brix – my annoyingly sweet brother whose studying in the city sent the load since I'd been practically bugging him for loads last week.

Darius Campbell's song Colorblind played in the air, (FYI. Colorblind is my  current favorite song so I made it my call ringtone. Not to mention the crush I have for DariusJ, see? A celebrity crush)

I looked at my phone and there, it displayed Grey's face on the screen.

It's quarter to 12mn, I feel sleepy and drained already being relieved from taking care of my 2-year old nephew. So much for having a frugal brother and a sister-n-law though they're both into business world. I managed to conceal the irritation from my voice as I answered, "Yes?"

"Hello, girlfriend!" greeted the other line.

Wasn't that shocking? Did he set up his mind for me being his what - girlfriend? Just because I had given him my number??!

"What?! Hey Grey! You must have called the wrong number, it's me Lindy, not your girlfriend. Okay? Goo–"

"Hey, don't hang up Lindy! I know it's you, of course."

"What the-"

"No cursing, please." a gentle chuckle on the other line was audible as I almost spitted out a curse.

I counted a quick 1-10 to calm myself.

"Okay, Grey. I'm sorry, your greeting is just so uncommon, you know, for a newly acquainted classmate."

I heard him heaving a sigh but then suddenly he was already laughing.

Whoa! No doubt, he really is cracked. I can't help rolling my eyes.

"Ooops, I'm sorry Linds. Please don't get me wrong with the 'girlfriend' , I meant that literally, it just so happened that you're the first girl that I met in school, in this town and I was so happy knowing that we're classmates."

Okay, I think I need a second to absorb his explanations.

"Ahh, well.. o-kay, uhm--"

I'm running out from any ideas of what to say since I'm not much of a talker. Then I remembered he mentioned of giving me a load earlier in the morning.

"Did you just send me thirty pesos load?"

"Yes. That's from my mom's number, it feels good to lessen her wealth once in a while." He said chuckling again.

"Oh, thank you."

Silence.

"So?" he urged.

"So, ahh- what?" I asked, no idea of what he wants to say.

"Friends? Can we be friends?" he asked enthusiastically.

"Oh, err-- of course. Friends."

I managed to smile beyond my sleepy disposition. Maybe he really is just friendly and nice and yes, generous. It's not every day my phone gets a load, anyway.