BEING ACQUAINTED

An hour had passed and the bell rang for recess. I got my wallet readied to go to canteen when Grey landed at the seat emptied by my seatmate.

"Hi!" he smiled as he handed over his phone to me.

What a way of greeting! He just offered me a phone instead of his hands for a handshake! Or is there a "phoneshake" in the planet he came from? An expensive touch-screen type of phone flashed before my eyes. I couldn't stop raising my left brow revealing a disgusted look. He's a show-off and it's a total turn-off. Have I really convinced myself earlier that I've got a crush on him? Ugh!

"Thanks, but no thanks. I have my own phone." Adjusting the rim of my glasses, I faked a smile as I waved my old clamshell phone in front of his face. But what was that? It looked like a flick of amusement crossed his eyes as I put down the gadget.

"Cool! So, may I have your number instead?"

"Oh, I would love to. But I'm not into textmates, actually. I don't have load all the time," I took a glimpse outside the window and thankfully saw my closest friends on the way to the canteen, waving at me to hurry up. "You see that girls? That's Demi, Mariz and Reia. They're the only three who have my number in this classroom, and they're all GIRLS." I emphasized the word 'girls', an attempt to make him stop from getting my number while I started heading outside.

"Well, maybe it's time for you to have a boy's name in your phonebook now" he couragely expressed "-and as for the load, don't worry about that, I'll send you some later."

Before I knew it, he had already grabbed the phone from my grasp and put his phone as an exchange. He started typing something as he moved a little farther when I tried to grab it back.

"You better type your number there now or else I will not give this back to you." He also started taking a picture from my old phone's camera.

Really? Is he threatening me?

Though I know I still have other choices, I don't know why I decided to key in my number and handed his phone back.

"Thank you, Lindy." He smiled again, a genuine smile that revealed a dimple on his left cheek.

I just nodded; unsurprised that he already knew my name. As soon as I got my phone back, I continued walking towards my waiting friends. I almost sighed for relief when he walked past me but dismayed when he stood in front of me blocking my way.

"Excuse me, you're blocking my way." I know I'm faking a smile again. I can't count how many times I flashed fake smiles for this morning but then, patience is almost draining in my system now. Not because I found this guy cute it would be enough for him to mess with my favorite subject – recess J.

*click!*

"Got it! – nice smile." He said happily with a match of double thumbs up. He just flashed his phone's camera, obviously taking a picture of me.

"What was that for?!"

I tried to grab his phone. I don't care if I got a crush at first sight w/ him but I will never leave a second thought of giving him an uppercut if I looked like a nerdy hag in the picture!

I'm already gripping his arm now but considering he's much taller, he just raised it high until I gave up.

"Phonebook purposes." Two words before he walked back to the classroom, smiling.