No small mistake

Vice Admiral Matthew D. Watson

Twelve years ago

The battle of Tokyo bay, how could I forget such a thing... It was Azur lane's biggest battle before Leyte. The Sakura empire requested our aid for their fight against the sirens immediately after our sudden peace deal with Akagi's presumed successor, the sudden change of foe to ally still left a sour taste in our mouths. The admiral lead the charge and handed me a menial but equally important task of securing the royal family and its court. Little that I knew that this was the the admiral's way of showing me the other face of the coin as well.

"Move it marines, corpsmen get the wounded! Garret I want you to put the fires with your men, go!" I commanded as a contingent of marines jumped from their trucks before sprinting with their firearms in hand aiding the beleaguered garrison. My small task force as well as the detachment had equally mixed feelings towards our Nihon counterparts, yet at the same time we felt an unshakable empathy towards them in their time of need and a new found respect for their bravery. Many of the guards could hardly stand let alone speak the same language as us, they were unusually frail in comparison, they were tired and sickly. But that did not matter they felt grateful that for once they were not being charged by a pack of mindless drones and being given at least an MRE for a change.

"Helena... are you sure this is the place?" I asked staring at the smoldering remains of the imperial palace and its ancient historic architecture.

 "That's what the admiral said but... now I'm not sure..." Helena said with a visible look of shock.

  "They're probably down in some bunker while that top heavy floating target sits like a porcelain doll." said the ever so increasingly boastful yet nervous Johnston as the rest of taffy three followed closely.

   "Don't be rude Johnston! They are our friends now!" said the much smaller Samuel b. Roberts as if she was her big sister.

"Yeah... search the place girls. They can have gotten that far, there must be some secret passage that leads us to them..." I commanded as the girls sprung into action in search of the mystery entrance.

"Do you think they will find them?" I asked to an ever so weary Helena as the sounds of battle were heard hardly miles away from us. The radios frantically called out positions for the main fleet to bombard while the cacophony of aircraft and artillery roared overhead. This one bustling and culturally rich city that many would have dreamed of seeing one day, was now nothing more than the sight of the apocalypse itself.

 This one bustling and culturally rich city that many would have dreamed of seeing one day, was now nothing more than the sight of the apocalypse itself

 "I can try with my SG, but I don't think it can search under ground..." she said looking towards a part of the city that was being shelled by the battleships.

"It's a waste of time, just forget it..." I said as I stared blankly at the battle that raged on around Tokyo. As much as I held some resentment towards the Sakurans, I could not help but feel empathy towards them as a human being seeing them struggle with our common enemy. Helena was quick to notice as she carefully gripped my hand tightly with hers.