The Storm that Healed

"Once the sea has touched your soul,

life on land will never be the same."

—Unknown

~~~

Ryan, Mira, and I were all quick to make our way to the front door, startling my father. When he saw Mira, his features hardened.

"Mira, what are you doing in my house?" he asked. I stopped at the front door.

"Dad, we have more pressing matters on our hands. Hans has a group of people out there looking for mermaids and Mira's pod is waiting for her just by our docks," I informed him, throwing open our door and marching outside. Sure enough, I saw Hans' suited figure standing on our dock while a small team of people searched the water with special gadgets.

"Nerina, we need to—"

"Stay back, mother," I ordered, giving her a look that told her to stay put by the front of the house. The last thing I needed was for her primal instincts to kick in an attack one of these snooping men. "Excuse me, what's going on?"

Hans turned to face me, something flashing in his eyes when he saw me. "Ah, Miss Monroe. As you probably know, I'm performing my own marine investigation."

"This dock is a private one, Mr. Greefman," I told him, using the same tone he'd used with me. He crossed his arms, looking me up and down. "If you're looking for anything worth your fairytale delusions, maybe go check out our myths and legends store on the other side of the island."

Ryan's footsteps became up behind me and I felt his presence, accompanied by who I could only assume was my father.

"Mr. Greefman, I'm going to have to ask you to take these people and get off of my property," he stated.

"Mr. Monroe, what I am doing here could be revolutionary to the science of marine life," Hans spoke, "and technically, these docks belong to the island, which I own."

"You're a grown man looking for mermaids," Ryan added, "don't you think it's time to grow up." Hans looked us all over again and I fought back the urge to shudder.

"You're all very protective of your precious dock," he mused, "one might think you were hiding something." I had the sudden urge to sweep a wave up onto the dock and knock him into the water. It was so strong that I clenched my hands into fists and then shoved them into the pockets of my sweatpants.

"You're right," I told him, "I'm hiding a mermaid."

"You mock me, little girl," he stated, "but what I've been studying will provide a scientific breakthrough like no other."

I felt Ryan's hand on my closed one and I looked over at him. "Let's just go back inside."

I wanted to scream at Hans. At all of them. Surely the other mermaids would be smart enough to swim away but they were still my people. They were still in danger. I clenched my jaw and took a step forward, causing Hans to raise an eyebrow at me.

"Rina?" Ryan asked, frowning a little. I caught Hans' gaze and held it, wondering how easily I could use my abilities to stop him from ever discovering anything. My hands unfolded and the waves began to react, lapping at the dock with a sudden ferocity that hadn't been there before.

A small hand rested on my shoulder, sending a wave of calm through me. The ocean calmed almost immediately and I blinked, looking over my shoulder to see Mira standing there. I looked back at Hans, who was still staring at me like I was a vermin amidst his shining world.