When Eyra started to count down the last seconds of her human life, the growling vampires came dangerously close. She could see the bright colors of their eyes; blue, green, yellow, all colors were reinforced shades of their normal color.

“Halt!”, a male voice shouted angrily and right before her eyes, vampires started making a path that revealed a young man, looking in his early twenties. His light brown hair was messily swept over his forehead and his blue eyes held a certain authority that was yet unfamiliar to Eyra. She had never seen him before and was shocked when he stepped forward and halted next to her. The young man’s face held a stern gaze as he glanced around the crowd. His eyes flashed an inhumanly bright color of blue, causing the vampires’ fangs to disappear and their eyes to return to their normal shade again.

Eyra held her breath as she eyed at her savior, before gazing dumbfounded at the vampire crowd. Men started to bow and women curtsied elegantly, keeping their heads down. It took Eyra a moment to realize that her savior was in fact a Royal, the most powerful vampires to ever exist. Only Royals had the power to keep the vampires under control, both originals and Newborns; that’s why they ruled the vampire kingdom.

 “Leave”, the Royal ordered, causing the circular crowd started shrink slowly. The Newborns muttered and walked away, continuing their former pursuits. When barely anyone of the crowd was left Eyra started turning to face Royal and thank him, but he was already gone, like he’d turned to dust. She was amazed and looked over her shoulder, searching for him, but he was nowhere to be found anymore.

Eyra shrugged uncomfortably and glanced around wearily. Preceding her visit to the grocery store was no longer an option, since the blood on her hand was still fresh. Instead, she took her handkerchief that was safely hidden in her sleeve and wrapped it tightly around her wounded hand. She bit the white fabric of the handkerchief on one side and pulled the other side with her undamaged hand.

“Need any help?”, a trusted voice asked the struggling human. Eyra’s head shot up and she relaxed as soon as she saw her brother. His pearly white teeth were showing as he smiled kindly and his grey eyes twinkled in pleasure.

“Thank god, Viktor”, Eyra said, letting out a relieved sigh while putting her undamaged hand over her heart. She held out her bandage arm to Viktor and he tied the white fabric together in a firm knot. “I though I was actually going to die this time”, Eyra said as they started walking down the street back to their home.

“You’re still alive Eyra. You worry too much.”

“I am going to die eventually”, Eyra said, casting her eyes down to the pavement. She thought about the most important decision of her life that was yet undecided. Eyra heard the sound of approaching hooves on the cold stone street, right after Viktor used his enhanced speed to pick her up and put her down on the pavement where she would be safe from traffic. She looked up at her brother and frowned. “See?”, she stated.

“I recall you promised you would stay with our family and turn into a vampire”, Viktor said folding his hands on his back, a playful grin gracing his face, while starting to walk again. Eyra followed his slow pace as they strolled down the dark streets. A thick layer of clouds, controlled by Lord Dracula, covered the sky of the vampire kingdom throughout the entire year, making sure not a sunbeam could get through and weaken any vampires.

“I did not promise anything”, Eyra replied sharply. “You know I do not want to become a vampire, but I do not wish to die either. I still have to make my decision.”

“It has already taken you a lifetime to decide”, Viktor muttered and received a slap on his chest. He glanced sideways at Eyra and caught her glaring at him. She did not like it when he made fun of her, yet she knew he did not mean to harm her with his words.

“You are a child, Viktor, even after nearly two thousand years”, Eyra said shaking her head. She loved her older brother, but sometimes felt like she had to raise him and teach him manners. In return, he would protect her from the Newborns. They didn’t close a deal on it; it sort of developed on its own throughout the years.

 Eyra and Viktor finally arrived home after turning a few blocks. They lived in the center of the capitol, among the wealthy population which only consisted of Originals. Because of their self-control and great knowledge, the originals fulfilled the prominent jobs and formed the upper class of society, while the Newborns to put up with the inferior jobs. Lord Dracula’s army was built of Newborns and led by the Originals, including the king and his four sons. 

The townhouse was captivating and exuded wealth, from the carved front door to the balcony pillars on the first floor that arched over the front door. Eyra and her brother ascended the small concrete stairs and entered the house, calling they were home.

“Eyra!”, her sister, Violeta, exclaimed as she appeared in the long hallway with circular marble stairs. Violeta embraced Eyra and took a whiff of her human sister. She stepped away from Eyra, but kept her hands on her shoulders, eyeing her worriedly.

“You smell like blood again…Why do you always smell like blood? It is dangerous out there Eyra, that’s why your with -”, Violeta’s rapid voice lectured Eyra, who had heard the same story way too many times. Violeta’s green eyes were fixed upon Eyra’s blue ones as she squeezed her sister’s shoulders lightly.

“I know, I know”, Eyra said and took Violeta’s hand away from her shoulder. She walked past the twins and entered the living room, where their mother was sitting on the dark blue sofa, stitching a new pillow case. Like Violeta, she had already heard about what happened earlier and her head shot up immediately after hearing Eyra’s approaching footsteps.

“Dear child”, the elder woman said put the pillow down on the sofa and stood up to embrace her daughter. She was very protective of the human child, not only because it had been Lord’ Dracula’s task for her, but because she somehow felt connected to the breathing creature. Eyra’s heartbeat often soothed her and the warmth of her skin was comforting. “Let me see”, she said and grabbed Eyra’s wounded hand. She undid the knot in the white handkerchief and studies the shallow cut.

“It’s not that bad”, Eyra said, trying to lighten her concern. Her mother nodded and glanced past Eyra at her biological children. The twins were punching each other’s arm playfully. They were chuckling until they found out that their mother’s gaze was focused upon them. Viktor but back a smile as he wiggled from heel to toe, while Violeta neatly clasped her hands in front of her stomach. Their mother rolled her eyes and fixed her gaze upon Eyra once again.

“Go clean your wound Eyra”, she said, lightly pushing Eyra towards the kitchen, leaving the twins behind. She shot the wins a warning look before disappearing through the heavy kitchen doors. The house maid was standing at the counter preparing lunch for the Vlahos family and instantly looked up when Eyra entered the kitchen. Her eyes darted to Eyra’s wounded hand, causing the human girl to watch the house maid cautiously.

“Leave us”, Eyra’s mother ordered. The maid obeyed with a slight curtsy and left the kitchen, never letting her gaze leave Eyra’s hand. The blood was already starting to dry, but that didn’t mean it was less appealing to the Newborn vampire. Just as the maid grabbed the door handle, she bared her fangs and attacked Eyra, who instinctively covered her face behind her arms. She awaited the bite but it never came.

Eyra slowly let her hands fall next to her body and gazed at her surroundings. She was startled as the where the maid had gone, because she was no longer in sight. A small his sounded from the side and Eyra turned her head to see Viktor’s blonde hair. He was holding the maid up against the wall, a firm arm pressed under her chin, to keep her head from moving while the other hand held her by her roped. Her feet were lightly lifted off the ground. Her bright golden eyes were still focused on Eyra, who turned to her mother for comfort.

“Now”, she said as she stepped forward. “Wash your hand child.” She put a delicate hand on Eyra’s shoulder and guided her to the sink. Eyra glanced at the hissing maid, who was still pressed against the wall, while she washed her hands. Eyra felt extremely uncomfortable, but knew Viktor would never let go of the maid. She was safe around her family; it was something they had ensured her ever since she was a little girl.

“Don’t you worry child, we will always protect you.”