Chapter 1

Vladsmiriov, March 1869

Eyra Vlahos’ life had always evolved around surviving; from her first breath as a new born child to an insecure seventeen year old human girl that had lived among vampires her entire life. Danger had always been the greatest risk of living in Lord Dracula’s kingdom. She could be bitten or killed at any moment in time, yet she was still alive. Her greatest enemies were the newborn vampires, who she caught licking their lips or baring their fangs at the sight of her. Even after all those years their public cravings for her still scared the girl, though she could not flee the capitol, Lord Dracula had seen to that.

Eyra knew what event awaited her on her eighteenth, but surprisingly did not dread the approaching moment. She had not made a decision yet but was still left eight months to make her mind and did not rush anything. For all she knew, she would be dead either way, either in a coffin or walking around.

The seventeen year old human twisted her umbrella, decorated with black lace, in her hands, making her blonde curls move lightly in the soft breeze that was aroused by the umbrella. Her pale hands held the umbrella black grip loosely, as she glanced around at the shops in the capitol’s main street,Draggòn Street, the most crowded place in the vampire kingdom. It was noon, which was the time of the day most vampires were asleep, and the safest moment for Eyra to go outside to do some grocery shopping for her family. It was a formality to eat normal dishes, but the one thing that kept them alive was blood.

Dark carriages pulled by black and brown horses, passed by Eyra as she waited on the curb to cross the street. She quickly ran to the other side of the street, lifting the hem of her dark green flounced skirt made of silk fabric, which matched her bodice and the small hat that was slightly tilted to the side of her head. Eyra saw the grocery shop once had reached the pavement on the other side and slowed her pace. As she walked, her hand accidentally brushed a passing pedestrian and before she could even look to see who’s hand it was, something hard kicked against her ankle, sweeping it up in one swift movement, while a hand pushed her shoulder. Eyra spread her eyes, preparing herself for the fall as her face neared the street. In a reflex, she caught herself with her hands and huffed relieved as she looked up at the responsible person. 

Eyra crawled up onto her feet, while glaring at a pair of bright green eyes that were rimmed by dark make-up, belonging to none other than Eyra’s biggest nightmare and supposed peer.

“Lenora”, Eyra hissed angrily, receiving an amused smirk.

Lenora’s long black hair was elegantly curled around her face and fell loosely around her shoulders. He purple bodice suited her black skirt nicely and was topped off with black gloves that covered her pale skin. Lenora was an original vampire, meaning she was born as one, and did not waste any time clarifying how repulsive and disgusting she found Eyra.

“Pathetic human, I would’ve expected you to learn from previous times, but apparently…you did not”, she said lingering on the last three words while clacking her tongue. She grinned viciously at Eyra, who had balled her fists next to her side and kept her mouth in a tight line. Eyra felt something warm seep between her fingers and brought her hand up to her face in shock. She studied the thick warm blood on her hand cautiously and spread her eyes in horror. She glanced around, finding herself surrounded by bloodthirsty vampires. Lenora was already pushed back by the nearing crowd of hungry vampires; their eyes lit up and their fangs bare. 

Eyra started to panic as she glanced around eagerly, trying to find a way out. The adrenaline rushing through her veins only appealed more to the newborn vampires and was heightened with every step they took in her direction. Many times Eyra had bled in public, but she would never be alone. There was always a family member that could help her get home safely. Eyra’s family consisted of original vampires that were chosen by Lord Dracula himself. They were immune to the sight of blood and could live for years without having a single drop. It did affect them negatively, but wasn’t lethal.