Chapter 9

PART TWO

DREAM LAKE

"I don't think there's anything sadder than when two people are meant to be together and something intervenes."

Walter Bishop

••••

2007

Today is officially summer holiday. I'm already excited. I waved goodbye to my friends and stepped out of Stanford. It's time to go back to my apartment to pack up before Rick comes over to pick me up.

When I turned around, I found a very familiar Audi. A guy leaning on the car, he has dark hair and his green eyes covered by his Ray-ban. Some girls were already swooning around him. Rick had a smile on his face and it widened when he saw me.

I jumped down flights of stairs, crashed into him for a hug, "You are not supposed to be here until tomorrow!"

He grinned down to me, "Surprise, babe."

All the girls started to back off. I can't wipe the smile off my face, "I'm surprised. When did you arrived?"

"This morning. My lessons ended yesterday. I took the earliest flight, stayed in hotel and came here." He replied, opening the door for me.

I kissed his cheeks, as he helped me with the safety belt, "Thanks Rick."

He beamed, crossing over to the driver seat, "Alright, we are heading down to the stadium."

"Stadium? For what?"

He smiled, "Surprise, babe."

"Ugh. You are full of surprises. Tell me!"

He shrugged, "I thought girls like surprises?"

"I do but... it's the suspense that is killing me."

He laughed, "Patience, El, patience."

••••

"MAROON 5!" I shrieked, jumping up and down, getting weird looks from people. I gave Rick a big hug, "You got Maroon 5 tickets!!"

He smiled down at me, "I know you would like it."

"I love it! God. Two surprises in one day, I can't breathe." I said, kissing him on his both flushed cheeks and pulled him into the stadium. He chuckled, his hand on my waist, "Stay close. We are in the VIP seats."

I looked at him. VIP seats are the most sickening tickets to get because he have to camp in front of the ticketing website for days and its bloody expensive.

"Maverick," My tears are clouding up my eyes.

He frowned, "God, El. I got the tickets from my friend. They have to bail out last minute for the baseball major league later at night. So I got it from them. Don't cry. You know how I am when you cry."

I smiled, my arms around his neck, "Thank you."

He returned the smile, his arms around my waist, "You're welcome, El."

••••

"For fuck sake, Maverick, we can't go in like that. We don't know them!" I whispered fiercely to Rick who dressed in suit and jeans with a masquerade mask over his face.

His green eyes are so striking. He ignored me, pushing me out of the parking lot, "We get free delicious food. Stop complaining."

Rick said when he was driving to my college; he saw an invitation on the ground and picked it up. It's a masquerade party by some wealthy family in town.

Rick decided to get a suit by the twenty dollar rack shop and got me a black simple satin dress. He then produced two masquerade mask.

I was protesting when Rick hand the invitation card to the guard. I looked around and saw the banner: Henry and Janice Engagement Party.

I smacked his chest, "Maverick Howard, this is not right!"

"Hush. We get some food, stand at a corner and don't socialize. After that, we leave okay?"

My stomach growled. I pouted. Rick smiled, "I will take that as a yes. Come on, stay close."

After two plates full of delicious food, the both of us slumped down the seats with wine while Rick stuck with sparkling juice since he's driving.

I was very well-fed when the music came on. The two hosts started the dance and the rest followed. Rick stood up, held his hand out to me. I narrowed my eyes, "No. We should leave."

He ignored me, pulling me up on my feet, passing my wine to a waiter and stepped onto the dance floor. I whispered fiercely to Rick, "I don't know how to dance and this isn't your dancing style,"

He rolled his eyes, "People call me a dance machine for a reason, El. Just follow my steps,"

I sighed. To hell with it. We came so far, stayed for so long and with our mask, nobody will know. So I let go. Rick look down at me and planted a kiss on my forehead. He can really dance.