Prologue

"Giann, I never thought that this day would happen. The day I'm finally wearing a long white dress with my man in his sexy black suit. The day that pays off every pain and sacrifice. The most awaited day in my life with you saying our promises in front of God and our loved ones. Akala ko hanggang high school na lang talaga tayo. Lagi tayong nagkakasakitan. Minsan, ikaw ang umaalis. At minsan, ako naman. Pero sa huli, lagi pa rin tayong bumabalik sa isa't isa. It looks like God is really on our side. He did everything for us to learn. You know what... I can't really imagine my life without you. You are my first and greatest love, and now... you'll be my husband."

"Joize, I didn't love anyone this way. This love is too much. Too much, to the point where it brought me both sadness and joy. And it's only you who can make me feel that love. I'm sorry if I caused too much pain to you. For always hurting you. I was a mess, but you didn't see me as one. I'm glad that you stayed. You've waited for me, kahit pakiramdam ko hindi ko deserve ang paghihintay mo. I can't imagine my life without you, too. God is truly amazing because I ended up with the woman I loved the most."

Ngumiti sila pareho at pinunasan ang luha ng isa't isa. Their wedding vows are truly heartfelt. Hindi ko alam pero iba talaga sa pakiramdam tuwing nakaka-witness ako ng exchange of vows ng mga ikinakasal dito sa simbahan. Ang sarap lang pakinggan ng mga salitang binibitawan nila para sa taong mahal nila.

I always love watching marriage ceremonies. Every marriage I witness is always magical for me. Nothing would be more magical than being with the person you promise in front of God you'll hold your hand with for better or worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and health. It's the start of the journey you'll go through, not with just yourself anymore but with someone else.

Marriage is not the end of the chapter yet, yes. It doesn't mean you tied the knot with the person you love, you'll always be happy, or you'll always feel the cloud nine and butterflies. Again, it's a new journey and not the end of the journey. Makaka-encounter ka pa rin ng challenges. The butterflies will get tired, and the rains will eventually overshadow cloud nine.

But I believe that in difficult times, marriage stands the most its purpose, which is to remind us that we're not alone in those challenges. It's not just about your strength alone to carry it, but both of you, like what you vowed at the wedding.

Sumabay ako sa mga taong nagpalakpakan nu'ng matapos ang ceremony. I felt a tear on my cheek, but I didn't bother to wipe it. Wala namang nakakakita sa'kin dito sa sulok. I really always get emotional when it comes to this.

"Here."

Nagulat ako sa panyong sumulpot sa harap ko. I looked at the guy who's handing me a hanky. Napakurap ako. He looked... great. He has dark brown hair that matches his eyes.

I'm certain that he's just the same age as me. Matangkad lang siya. Tingin ko'y isa siya sa groomsmen dahil naka black suit din siya.

Napatitig ulit ako sa kanya. He's good-looking. Artista kaya siya? Pero hindi ko naman siya nakikita sa TV. A model maybe.

"Uhh, thanks," sabi ko.

Nagtagal muna ang tingin niya sa'kin bago tumango at tuluyan akong iwan doon. Tinignan ko ang panyong binigay niya. I wiped my tear with it. Napatigil pa ako saglit dahil sa amoy. Halatang mamahaling pabango kasi ang ginamit doon.

I always sneak inside the church whenever there's a wedding. Pupwesto sa sulok kung saan hindi ako kita ng mga tao para makapanuod ng ceremony. This is not the first time I cried in an exchange of wedding vows. Lagi akong nandito sa Sto. Rosario Parish dahil nagbebenta ako ng mga kandila sa gilid ng simbahan.

Lumabas na ako at bumalik sa pwesto ko.

The candles that I'm selling have different meanings.

Green for fortune.

Orange for studies and career.

Blue for peace and hope.

White for penitence.

Brown for good health.

Red for passion.

And, of course, my favorite candle. The candle that I always see being lit up. The candle that saved and renewed many hearts with the whisper of their prayers. The candle that led many people inside the church when its smoke reached Heaven. But also the candle I never lit up once in my life because I believe the right time has yet to come...

The pink candle. The candle of love.

A/N: I'll appreciate your votes and comments here, so please do so 🥺