Chapter 11 | From the Calm

On the next day, around midday, the crew of the Dawn Treader make their way through the streets of Narrowhaven down to the harbour

On the next day, around midday, the crew of the Dawn Treader make their way through the streets of Narrowhaven down to the harbour. The people of the Lone Islands gathered to cheer on their king and the new governor, thankful for being freed of the slavers' yoke. Pug didn't reappear, and the soldiers on patrol couldn't spot him anywhere. Luna's ominous feeling about this remains, but Lord Bern promised to do everything in his power to find the slave traders' chief and bring him to justice.

On their way, they avoid the main square, taking a detour. Caspian walks at the front with the King and Queen of Old, Drinian and Luna a few steps behind. Eustace is somewhere in the back of the party with Reepicheep. Shortly before they reach the docks, a commotion draws the warrior's attention. A man makes his way through the crowd, seemingly in a hurry.

» My king! « He calls out as he reaches the front. Tavros and Rynelf step forward to block his path. Drinian and Luna have their hands on their swords, the blades already half drawn as they turn. Maybe they are a littleoverreacting, but Luna prefers to be overprotective over regretting the carelessness later

» My king! « The man calls again and tries to push past the two ship's mates,

» Please take me with you. «

Caspian turned at the first call, keeping himself from drawing his sword. As king he cannot appear as easily afraid, especially not now after claiming the Lone Islands as part of the Narnian Empire again. As he spots the man in the middle of the commotion, he steps past his trusted friends. Drinian and Luna both protest but the king only raises his hand. So, they follow him like a second shadow. As the man notices the king approaching him, he shrugs off Tavros' and Rynelf's hands to bow.

» My wife was in the sacrificial boat, I want to find her, « he explains,

» I'm a good sailor. « This is when Luna recognizes him. He and a little girl ran after the carriage with the prisoners who were sent out into the green mist. She even remembers his wife's name being Helaine. While Caspian exchanges a look with the captain, Luna leans towards him.

» It's true, « she whispers,

» We saw him yesterday before the market. « Caspian gives her a curt nod before he addresses the man,

» What is your name? «

» Rhince, sire, « he is quick to respond.

» Alright, Rhince, come aboard, « at this, the new member of our crew breathes a sigh of relief. Then, said little girl squeezes to the front of the crowd, running towards her father. A woman follows her, calling her by her name a few times. Rhince whirls around at the cry of his daughter, a sad smile on his face as he kneels to embrace her.

» Stay with your aunt, Gael, « he tells her. They say their final goodbyes. As he gets up to join Drinian and the rest of the crew, her teary eyes follow him. Luna can't linger as Caspian continues the walk to the ship. However, someone plucks at her sleeve. She finds the girl, timidly looking up at the warrior. So, the Crown Shield crouches down to her level.