Chapter 36 | Nightmares

The following morning is busy

The following morning is busy. Not only does the wind forsake them so the men must row in stretches, still the Dark Island doesn't seem to get any closer, but a strange fear claws into the atmosphere, setting everyone on edge. This increases the further they sail towards that black spot on the horizon. Drinian grumbles about enchantments, warning the crew to stay alert.

» I don't trust these waters, « the captain says,

» That isle could be upon us in li'le time if this 's merely a trick. Wouldn't surprise me after last night. « Indeed, he – as many – was plagued by abstruse dreams. Some men swear they saw streaks of the green mist drift around the ship, just above the water's surface. Drinian has always been more trusting to the things he can see and, if possible, touch. Now, however, he doesn't quite trust his eyes anymore – they could be deceived after all.

If she isn't needed somewhere, Luna keeps to herself as much as possible. Of course, she fulfils her duties, but apart from this she withdraws into the cabin. Lucy spends her time in the study, reading. She realized her friend needs time to herself, so she won't disturb her. The others notice this as well, but as everyone is quite distracted by their own minds, Luna is no exception.

So, the second night falls quickly after an uneventful but exhausting day. The two women retire early, snuggling into the covers. Usually, they would talk about this and that. Instead, they stay mostly silent, staring at the beautifully carved ceiling until sleep overcomes them.

~

Luna finds herself facing the back of another woman. She stands tall, wearing a crimson gown that flows around her figure. The dark hair caresses her shoulders, falling down her back in waves. A breeze shifts them ever so slightly, the only movement in the woman's posture. Luna's eyes wander to the opposite wall. The woman stands right in front of a mirror, the glass framed in delicate silver. She notices a crown sitting on the woman's head, a golden circlet that carries shimmering rubies. Then, Luna's gaze meets that of the woman in the reflecting glass. The warrior freezes. She stares into the same brown orbs she possesses. These are her own eyes! Yet, the expression is different. Piercing, cold; a look that seems to reach into the depths of the soul, striking fear in the hearts of men.

A breath later, Luna turns her head away, unable to hold this other Luna's gaze. She notices the open window from where the breeze must have wandered inside. Heavy curtains frame them, leaving only a small gap to look outside. At the sight of two armies – one in red armour, one in blue – Luna leaps to her feet, already reaching for her weapons. Though, her hands grasp nothing but air. She has no time to wonder, her eyes are glued to the outside. The fronts clash, melting into one line of destruction and death. Grass and earth are coloured with blood; the metallic stench pierces Luna's nostrils. Despite it all, she doesn't step back; she watches as flames lick over the battlefield, illuminating the grey sky. A figure in red armour navigates their horse between the fallen, heading for another warrior in blue beside a dark steed. Before the red knight reaches them, he dismounts. The silver and gold ornaments of his armour reflect the glow of the fire. He puts one hand on the hilt of his sword while the other opens the visor of his feathered helmet. Luna's eyes widen, her heart clenching as she recognizes Caspian. The king nods at the knight in blue, waiting for them to step forward and into the duel. In the back of her head, Luna hears a voice scolding him for being so very chivalrous, a battle isn't the place for that. The Crown Shield wants to get to him, stand by her king's side, only to find her legs won't move, dooming her to watch.