Chapter 22 | Hairy Affairs

» Oh, let me, please! « This exclamation came from the Queen of Old and started the scene she and Luna now find themselves in

» Oh, let me, please! « This exclamation came from the Queen of Old and started the scene she and Luna now find themselves in. They sit on one of the sofas in the study. Luna's back faces Lucy while the latter tries a few different braiding techniques. Luna's long waves are perfect for such purposes. Eustace is with them in the room but retreated to the windowsill Luna usually likes to sit. After he came out of the water, Lucy wrapped a towel from the prepared stack around his shoulders. Luna welcomed the boy with a teasing smile as he had to admit the dunk in the ocean wasn't all that bad – the bucket-incident excluded. The blond even enjoyed it for a while. Yet, he climbed the knitters back on board earlier than the others. Reep accompanied Eustace downstairs to change into dry clothes before leaving him to himself. Lucy and Luna decided to get the fire going and blankets ready for when Caspian and Edmund will eventually have enough too. Until then, the two young women chat quietly, and Lucy plays with Luna's hair. Eustace joined them a while ago, he quickly fell asleep, completely wrapped in a blanket, only his nose peeks out.

In the meantime, Cas and Ed leave the water and go change. The rest of the swimming crew follows their example. Jaro and Jonathan hand out hot grog, Anaru brings a tablet with a few cups to the king's study as well. Lucy thanks him before turning back to the task at hand.

» It's gotten so long, « Lucy states as she combs her fingers through the strands of hair. Luna smiles slightly, telling her friend she cut it just before they set sail from Cair Paravel. Afterwards, it reached a bit over her shoulders, now it reaches the middle of her back again – much to Lucy's joy. She likes to play with it to be reminded of her older sister Susan. As a little girl she was seldomly allowed to play with Susan's beautiful hair. Not because the Gentle Queen didn't like it, but Lucy often got it in a frizz and Peter and Ed would call Susan a blowsbella.

» Do you think you could cut it? « Luna asks. Lucy is about to answer as the door opens and the kings enter. The women look up – Lucy scolds Luna for moving too much – and greet them, telling them about the grog and the blankets.

» Thanks, « Edmund already heading for the stack of warm blankets to wrap himself up in. Caspian follows suit and the two settle down close to the fire. Lucy turns back to the hairdo she is trying to accomplish – that's why Luna isn't allowed to move. The queen is sceptical about her friend's inquiry.

» Hm, if you don't expect a masterpiece, « she answers thoughtfully,

» Yeah, I think I can manage to cut the tips. « She puts the edge of her hand a bit over the tips of Luna's hair to show her up to which point she could cut it.

» Here? « She suggests. Luna thinks for a moment before placing her hand a few inches over Lucy's,

» I was thinking here, « she explains.

» Are you sure? That's quite a bit to cut. «

» It tends to get in the way, « Lucy looks at her quizzically, not convinced at all,