Chapter One - Tune In

Start from the beginning

"You want to climb out of there?" Cat asked with an eerily slow and raspy laugh. Chester raised one eyebrow and nodded. "Proving we're even more insane," I muttered to myself, looking over to where Hattie had knelt down in front of Dora.

"There's people up there," Dora muttered, her head tilting back so her eyes could see the window, where sure enough, people were; they were in the distance, but even though we'd been out of the madhouse for a month, Gemma was the only sane we had seen.

Hattie nodded and looked around the small room, moving over to a rusty desk and sitting down on it, her legs swinging slightly from it.

"I'm not joking, we could easily get up there and go out," Chester said, his eyes, which changed between a blue and a green, lit up with mischief.

"I think we should just stay put," Noelle protested, her eyes lowered onto the ground and her hands clasped firmly together, "Gemma said we'd be able to leave soon." Chester rolled his eyes, but they paused midway on me.

"What about you Alice, you've been awfully silent today," he said and I gulped. I was always quiet, or at least whenever I was around Chester. He had a way of making people feel uncomfortable, and I wasn't immune to that.

"Does anyone see what I see?" Cat said, her voice taking on a tone I've never heard. Not when she was smoking, not when she was in withdrawal; honestly just never heard before. When no one replied she moved over to a pile of boxes, which had a funny pattern.

At the very bottom of the stack there was a thin layer of dust on the cardboard, and the color was faded in a distinct line where it was exposed to the sun. The boxes gained more color as the stack progressed upward, and the one on the very top didn't look old at all, maybe even new.

I could instantly pick out what Cat was talking about, an old fashion pipe poking out of one of the lower boxes due to a bad stacking job. I however, was looking at something else, a small picture of Gemma, a woman, most likely her Mum, and a boy, maybe eight or nine in the picture.

"Hey look, it's little Gemma," I said with a laugh as Cat looked right past the pipe and picked up a flimsy magazine. Hattie must've picked up that Cat hadn't even acknowledged the, because she knit her eyebrows and watched her.

"Cat you ok?" Hattie asked and she rolled her eyes.

"Of course," she replied, inspecting the cover of the magazine and going over to a small wooden rocking chair. "And look, it's a gossip magazine, I miss these," she said with a sigh and think the whole room was a bit confused then, even little Dora.

"Am I not allowed to be interesting in what most people my age are?" She asked defensively. We all just stared at her, and she stared back; for the first time looking each of us in the eye when hers weren't glassy or dilated.

"Of course not Cat," Noelle said with a warm smile, breaking the silence. Even if she hasn't said anything though the silence would've broken soon enough because upstairs there was a loud crash.

"Oh shit," I hear Gemma, as a patter of feet scrambled around above us. It was likened were flipping through the tele and landed on a show halfway through a scene. That's what it was like really, we had tuned out if each other and into what was going ok upstairs.

"Clumsy," I heard a deep make voice say, as a small clatter occurred, like the sound of metal on a countertop.

"You're one to talk," someone replied, and I recognized the voice as Gemma's. I heard a grumble and fit a second I thought it was the boy's response to Gemma, but I realized it was mine after a few shirt seconds.

"Hmm, well anyway, when are the boys going to visit?" Gemma asked the boy as I looked down at my slim belly, still slightly concave from the small food supply at the mental hospital.

"I'm not sure, but I know that Lou's coming tomorrow," the voice said. "Speaking if which I have a question," the voice quickly added and I could imagine Gemma in the room, freezing and narrowing her eyes at whoever she was speaking to.

"And it would be?" She asked, her voice trailing off slightly.

"If I could stay with you tomorrow?" He asked, "Lou as well."

"Can't you stay with Mum and Robin?" She countered, her tone slightly annoyed. "I have ... Plans," she added quietly,

"I wanted to hang out with you though Gem," he replied and I heard my stomach growl again, this time a tiny bit louder.

"I'll have to see," she replied and I mentally thought of how that would work. The small house was just that, small, and already fitting the five if us along with Gemma was a tight fit.

"You're the best," he replied, "and one last thing." I bit my lip as I swirled a lock if my hair around my finger and looked down at tummy in shame. Whoever was talking better only have one last thing to say because I was I need of something filling.

"Yes?" Gemma replied and I heard a few footsteps coming closer to the door that kept the five of us from Gemma and whoever her guest was.

"Can I pick up that photo album as made a while back?" he asked. "Mum wanted to see it," he added and I heard, even through a wall, Gemma's voice catch.

"I'm not actually sure it is," she said, and Gemma, for someone who broke us out if a reasonably guarded mental institution, was awfully bad at lying.

"Last time I was here it was in one if those boxes," he replied and my gaze, along with Noelle's moved toward the boxes.

"Really?" Gemma asked, and I can imagine the bit nodding.

"Really."

Authors Note ~ Ok, so it isn't started officially yet, I just wanted to give you guys some more since its been a while since the preview. Comment and whatnot, do whatever your mad little heart desires :)

<3 

Luce

P.S. You're absolutely bonkers if your reading this, but key me tell you a secret, the best people are :)