Chapter Eight - Darkness and Oblivion

I’m laughing.

            I’m smiling.

            I’m falling.

            “Alice,” I heard someone call out, but I couldn’t make out whom it was. I was distracted by the blur of colors of materials all around me. “Alice,” the voice tightened, and I fear was laced into it. “Where are you?” the voice sounded strained, and it was getting louder as I fell further down.

            I’m spinning.

            I’m quiet now.

            I’m no longer falling.

            I’m seated on a floor, but I can’t remember the impact. I can feel it though, the bruises along my arms. The memory has been lifted my mind. I was falling and then simply I was where I was. Still, legs crossed, and calm. No, calm isn’t the right word, I was serene.

            “Alice, oh thank god,” I heard the voice again, but I didn’t know where it was.

            “Who’s Alice,” I said simply, saying this to the boy calling out, and whoever this Alice girl was. Suddenly I heard a sharp intake, and then a rush of pattering on a stone floor. Odd considering the floor I was on was soft carpet.

            “Alice,” the voice softened, but in the darkness of the room I could make out a dark outline that must have belonged to the voice. Instinctively I looked over my shoulder, seeing if there was another person in here. A girl who may have been this Alice the boy was speaking of.            

            I was sitting in a room with a boy in his late teenage years. He was saying some foreign words to me. In a matter of minutes he was speaking the words perfectly, and it took me several more minutes to realize I was thinking in a language than the one I was speaking in …

            My eyes shut and suddenly a moving picture was flushed my eyes. The owner to the voice in the room was there, but he was different. He was more relaxed. The pictures caught and skipped to one where he was laughing and smiling.

            “Alice, the queen. You have to run.” I locked eyes with the boy I’d been on the run with so long, and then I ran. I was hesitant to leave, because it meant I would be leaving behind the boy I’d known for my whole life. Still, I knew it wasn’t just my life that depended on my escape, so I ran. The red and white of the roses blurred on my sides as I ran against the battered stone pathway. I ran through the gardens, and I ran as fast as my body deemed possible. I ran and ran and then suddenly everything was dark. There was a bit of pain, but the feeling was diminished by oblivion …

            My eye popped open, not needing time to adjust since the lighting was so dim. That was why it only took me a few moments to realize who was in front of me. The exact same boy from both of the memories … or at least what I thought to be memories. It was odd though, the memories. They held the same person, and the same me, but in different forms.

            The one on front of me was different than the two from moments before. He was at least three years older, and his clothing was battered. The lighting of the room didn’t allow me to see all of him, but it was with a doubt him. I’d know that face from anywhere, even if I didn’t know his name, or my own.

            “Who’s Alice?” I found myself asking, out of curiosity and a need to say something to him. He froze, a motion that quickly went through his body. It was as if someone had injected him with a poison that slowed his actions.