05

GETTING DOWN TO NEW ORLEANS was a hell of a car ride

     GETTING DOWN TO NEW ORLEANS was a hell of a car ride. After hours of driving, she found herself rather hungry, despite consuming a few blood-bags Elena had stored in her car. Dahlia needed fresh blood, and lots of it. The girl parked the stolen car in the parking lot of a bar on the side of the road that looked very old and tattered. As she got out of the car, she saw a group of men sitting outside and eyeing her hardly. She closed the car door and felt their burning stares while walking up the cement.

"Take a picture. It lasts longer." She smirked as she sashayed past. The men shifted their gazes away uncomfortably and began speaking to one another. The wooden bar door creaked as she pushed it open and saw the lack of customers, and lack of food. She scanned the dim bar and counted a mere eight rednecks day-drinking. Dahlia sighed and walked up to the cleanest one she could find. She sat next to him and looked at him seductively.

"Well, hello." His unexpectedly deep voice spoke. She smiled and looked him dead in the eye as she placed a hand on his shoulder.

"You're gonna go to the washroom without saying anything. Don't be scared." She stood up and headed to the bathroom with the man following. She closed the door and turned to him before jumping at his neck.

She sucked at the mans neck eagerly, the sweet liquid splashing in her mouth and taking over her. The taste only made her hungrier as she kept drinking from the fading man. Dahlia finally pulled her head back for air, and when she leaned in for more, she noticed she went a little overboard. The man swung his head dizzily and looked up at her, squinting and then finally gasping at the blood staining her mouth. She bent down and held the gaping man's shoulder.

"Forget this happened. You slipped and hit your neck on the sink." She mentally scolded herself for her horrible excuse. The girl turned to the dirty mirror and wiped the dripping red from around her mouth and neck using toilet paper. Throwing the man one last glance, she stepped over him and walked out of the bathroom searching for her next human bloodbag.

Her hunt for food was interrupted when she saw the little clock overhead the door. The clock read 3:32pm, reminding Dahlia of the long roadtrip ahead of her. She groaned and slugged out of the bar and into Elena's car. Taking some time to hotwire the vehicle again, she finally got the shitty engine to start and fixed herself up in the rear-view mirror before taking off.

The vampire drove towards New Orleans for another few hours, resisting the urge to pull over and drink the delicious, sweet blood of any one of the drivers next to her. She wanted to be there before the sunset, but she was behind. The once bright, yellow light was turning an orange colour, shining in her face while she drove as if taunting her. The sky was a shade of pink and purple mixed. 

As Dahlia stared out into the sky, she remembered seeing the sky being a similar hue the evening of Qetsiyah's wedding. The two were once very close despite Dahlia being slightly younger. Dahlia admired Qetsiyah's relationship with Silas. Although she'd never seen him before, she thought he was the perfect man, at least that was how Qetsiyah described him. The way she spoke of him made her truly believe in love, despite never finding the one.