02

DAHLIA'S PHONE call completely broke her

      DAHLIA'S PHONE call completely broke her. Her heart felt like it was pulled out of her chest and she was being taunted with it. She didn't understand why Niklaus didn't want to see her; she was back with all her memories. She wondered what would make him not want to see her. Every night she cried into her pillow, careless of the fact Stefan heard her every time. It was a chore to get through the day, and when she did, she fell asleep thinking of him. During all of it, Stefan and Damon had finally found out about how old she really was, and who she was to Niklaus. 

"What the hell, lady. Why didn't you tell us you're a 2,000 year old immortal?" The two stormed into Stefan's room as she sat on the floor across his mirror. She didn't notice them as she stared at herself in the mirror, disgusted at her reflection. She looked a mess; her eyes were red and puffy, her skin was discoloured, and her lips were scaly and dry. "Conceited much?" She glared at them through the mirror and exhaled sharply.

"I didn't think it would be important. Besides, I just remembered. Niklaus compelled it all away." Her voice got soft at his name. She bit her lip and slathered concealor all over her face. She would be pretty for herself. 

"What? What do you mean?" Stefan asked eagerly. Dahlia smiled at herself in the mirror to keep her cool. It was like she couldn't think about him no matter how hard she tried. He haunted her with her tattered heart in his grasp. 

"Okay, enough with the self-pity. Now spill the beans on you and Niklaus." Damon stood behind her and stared at her through the mirror. The girl bit her lip.

"To hell with him." She said with false bravado as she stood up and turned to the Salvatores. "If you'll excuse me, gentlemen. I'm gonna step out for a while. I've got some...stuff to do." She had nothing to do. She just needed some air. Everything was being thrown at her, and it took a toll on her. As she walked past the brothers, Stefan held her back by grabbing her arm.

"I'll come with you." She groaned, but actually wanted him to come along. It felt nice knowing someone cared. The two stepped out of the house and when Dahlia walked past his car, Stefan asked about it. "No car?" 

Dahlia shifted from side to side. "I don't actually have anything to do. Lame, I know." Stefan nodded and a smile grew on his face as he thought of an idea.

"Well, there is some kind of decade dance at the school. Caroline really wanted me to go. Care to join?" The girl had completely forgot about school and how she was supposed to be there.

"What decade? Because let me tell you buddy, the 50's were not for me." Stefan rolled his eyes.

"It's the 20s." Dahlia let out a sigh of relief and mockingly wiped imaginary sweat from her forehead. As Stefan walked past her, she heard him mutter under his breath. "You'd look good in any decade." She felt her cheeks warm up and bit her lip. She ran after him and the two walked to the costume store in town.

Dahlia looked at herself in the mirror and felt a sense of déjà vu. The short, silver fringed dress paired with the matching silver beaded cap reminded her of the 20s. She was in New York for the majority of the 20s, busy partying from sunrise to sundown. Lovers came and she had her fun, but it felt like there was something missing. She even remembers being proposed to. With that, the flings and relationships never lasted. But she still partied like there was no tomorrow.