Chapter Fourteen: Trying to Forget

Lionel ran a hand through his hair, the past week had been awkward and he had noticed that Antonella had been acting strange; he didn’t know what was going on with her but he hoped that things would go back to normal soon.

Katania hadn’t said anything about his little slip up and he was grateful that she hadn’t mentioned it to him and he wanted things to be as normal as possible between them for Sophie’s sake.

Lionel hoped to keep Katania as a friend, he had worked hard to keep Sophie safe and he wasn’t going to let anything mess it up for her; he adored her so much and he wanted to do Sergio proud.

“How are things at home?” Gerard asked looking over at Lionel, he had heard about his friend’s little slip up and he was amused that Lionel had managed to do something like that.

Spending a lot of time with Katania for Sophie’s sake was bound to have some sort of effect on Lionel and Gerard wasn’t surprised that things had gotten a little confused for his friend.

“Still weird,” Lionel murmured sure that Antonella didn’t know anything about what had happened, he didn’t want to upset his girlfriend over nothing and he was sure it wasn’t going to happen again.

Antonella had been a little clingy recently and when she wasn’t with Lionel then she disappeared for hours on end without explanation; it wasn’t just her that was a little off.

Katania was also acting odd and Lionel had noticed that she kept a distance between them after what had happened; she refused to be alone with him in her small home.

“It’ll get better,” Gerard reassured, he had heard from Cesc who had been told by Daniella that Antonella knew about Lionel’s little slip up and had spoken with Katania about what had happened.

Daniella had been advising her best friend, she wanted to make sure that Lionel was going to be the one that Antonella married; she wanted her best friend happy and there was only one way for that to happen.

“Shakira and I are hosting a barbecue this Friday, why don’t you bring Katania and Sophie along,” Gerard suggested with a smile, he knew that this wasn’t going to be easy but he was curious about Katania and he felt bad for her since she was pretty much alone right now.

Lionel paused and looked at Gerard, he hadn’t missed that Antonella wasn’t included in the invite; he knew that Shakira wasn’t overly fond of his girlfriend and he wished that they could get alone.

Antonella and Shakira hadn’t ever really going on and because of that Lionel often felt left out whenever something happened; he missed being invited to all of his friends little gatherings and now he wasn’t.

“That sounds nice,” Lionel agreed sure that Katania would like to get out of the house for a couple of hours, she still got stalked by the paparazzi and she felt nervous about being out alone with Sophie.

Gerard grinned, he couldn’t wait to see Katania again and he was sure that Shakira would love her; he felt that the brunette was a much better match for Lionel than Antonella had ever been.

It had been a long time since Gerard had thrown a party and with Shakira expecting their second son in the New Year and they wouldn’t get another to have a relaxing get together like this for a long time.

***

Katania sighed shaking her head, it had been a week since her talk with Antonella and she was still disappointed that the brunette had felt the need to threaten her.

Katania wasn’t interested in Lionel in that way, she was happy just to be his friend and they had Sophie to think about; she didn’t want things to be difficult.

Sophie babbled playing with her toys, she was completely unaware about the tension that filled the air between her guardians after what had happened.

Katania watched her, she wished that they were in a better place right now and she hated that things between her and Lionel could affect the little girl.

Antonella had made it clear that she wanted Katania and Sophie gone, she didn’t want them around and they were nothing more than a threat to her relationship with Lionel.

Daniella had told Antonella to get rid of Katania in any way possible and Antonella knew that there was only one way to get rid of the brunette; she had to find some way for Lionel and Katania to fail their upcoming inspection.

Sophie would be taken from them and sent to live with some other relative in the states meaning Katania wouldn’t have to live with them anymore and Antonella would get her perfect life back.

Katania feared what Antonella might have been planning, she didn’t want Sophie to be hurt and she didn’t want to lose her; she wasn’t sure if Antonella had meant what she had said but she didn’t want her lashing out.

Katania was keeping her distance from Lionel so that it wouldn’t give Antonella anymore reasons to take the situation out on Sophie when none of this was her fault.

“Hola,” Lionel whispered stepping into the pool house, he smiled a little glad that he had come to check on Sophie; he didn’t like the house quiet and Antonella was out for the afternoon.

Katania offered him a weak smile, she needed to do as Antonella wanted otherwise it would end in tears; she moved to put the kettle on knowing that it was best to keep a distance between her and Lionel for now.

“Gerard’s hosting a barbecue this weekend, he’s invited you and Sophie,” Lionel announced knowing it would be good for Katania and Sophie, they didn’t have anyone to lead on right now and it would be good for them to get out.

Katania paused knowing that it would be nice to get out but she didn’t want to upset Lionel’s girlfriend; she was trying to keep the peace so that Antonella didn’t do anything rash.

“What about Antonella?” Katania questioned, she wouldn’t go if the other woman was and she was sure that Antonella wouldn’t want her hanging around with her friends; she was fine on her own right now and could make friends later on.

“Anto and Shakira don’t get along so she wouldn’t be going,” Lionel reassured knowing that Katania didn’t deserve to keep herself out of the way, he wanted her to feel like Barcelona was her home.

Katania opened her mouth, she wasn’t sure what to say and she knew that Antonella wouldn’t like her going to the party; she was glad that they hadn’t done this in front of the other woman.

Lionel watched Katania, he hoped that she would agree since he was sure that his team-mates and their wives would be welcoming to Katania; she needed friends and he was sure they would be able to look out for her.

“Okay,” Katania agreed softly, she wasn’t sure what would happen but she doubted that it could do any harm as long as she wasn’t alone with Lionel; she had to keep his distance from him for the sake of Sophie.

“Good,” Lionel said walking over to Sophie and setting down to play with her, a lot of his team-mates had children around her age and it would be good for her; he wanted Katania and Sophie to spend more time with people instead of isolated away from the world.

Katania watched him knowing that Lionel had no idea of Antonella’s threat, he didn’t see that his girlfriend wasn’t happy with them being alone together.