Chapter Twenty-Seven: Needing to Talk

“This can’t be right,” Lionel murmured staring at the sonogram that Katania had given to him, he knew that there was no way that Antonella had been pregnant when they had broken up.

The picture that he was holding held a date in April on it and Lionel was sure that Antonella would have been very heavily pregnant when they had ended things; it made him wonder what had happened since Antonella had never wanted children in the six years that they were together.

Katania was silent, she hadn’t been able to keep things from Lionel and he had right to know what she had found; it was him that would have to deal with this now.

“I’m sorry,” Katania whispered sitting down next to him, she had slowly explained to him how she had come across this; she was sure that he needed to talk with Antonella about this.

Lionel shook his head, there was nothing that Katania needed to apologise for and he was glad that she hadn’t hide this from him; he was curious about why Antonella had never told him about her pregnancy and he worried what she might have done.

“It’s not your fault,” Lionel murmured smiling a little, he looked at his girlfriend before he moved to wrap his arms around Katania; he wasn’t sure how to deal with the knowledge that Antonella might have been pregnant with his child at one time.

Katania wrapped her arms around Lionel, she had no idea what would happen now and she feared that this could be the end of them after such a short amount of time.

“I’ll have to call Daniella… I need to speak to Antonella,” Lionel muttered shaking his head, he didn’t have any contact with his former girlfriend and he didn’t want to contact her but he needed answers about what Katania had found in their home.

Katania nodded her head, she wasn’t going to stop him from getting the answers that he needed; she would be there for him no matter what happened.

***

Katania balanced Sophie on her hip, she fussed over the little girl while Lionel spoke on the phone with Daniella Semaan; she was trying to not let her boyfriend’s words hurt her but it wasn’t easy.

Katania had never thought when she would have to deal with this, she knew that Antonella was back in Argentina and that was how she hoped it would stay; she doubted that she could ever complete with Lionel’s ex.

“Mama,” Sophie whimpered softly as if sensing the tension that filled the air, she cuddled into Katania’s arms and held onto her; she pouted looking over at Lionel who was still talking on the phone.

Katania sighed before she whispered softly to the little girl, it wouldn’t be long before the paperwork came through that would allow them to adopt Sophie; the couple couldn’t wait to call her theirs.

“I need to speak to her Dani… por favor have her call me,” Lionel demanded frustrated with how Daniella had refused to pass on any information about Antonella even when he revealed that he had found the sonogram that was hidden in the pool house.

Katania looked over at Lionel when he came off his phone, she could see that he wasn’t pleased with his talk with Cesc’s girlfriend and she doubted that he had expected Daniella to be so secretive.

“Is everything okay?” Katania asked softly moving to sit down with Sophie, she hated that there was nothing that she could do to help him; she knew that Lionel needed answers about the sonogram that had been found before he could move on.

“It’s fine… she didn’t even deny that she knew about this,” Lionel muttered annoyed about how Daniella had spoken to him, she was a close friend to Antonella and their break-up hadn’t changed that.

“Papa,” Sophie squealed making Lionel smile before he moved to take the little girl from his girlfriend, he was glad that he had the afternoon off to wrap his head around all of this; he didn’t want to think about what could have been.

Lionel was very aware that if Antonella had given him a child then he never would have taken Sophie in nor would he have met Katania; everything in his life could have been so different and it scared him a little.

“It’ll be okay,” Lionel murmured looking to Katania, he knew that she had worries that she had yet to express to him and he didn’t blame her; things were going to change if he got in touch with Antonella and he didn’t want Katania worrying.

Katania nodded her head not looking at Lionel, she didn’t know what to say to him about all of this when she knew that Lionel needed to speak with Antonella about this; he needed to calm his mind about what he had found.

“It’s not going to change anything Kata… Anto didn’t want children,” Lionel muttered trying to reassure his girlfriend, he had no interest in getting back together with his ex and from what Daniella had told him, she had also moved on with her life.

Katania peeked at Lionel, she wanted everything to be normal and she feared what would happen if Antonella did come back; she doubted that she could ever complete with a woman like that for anything.

Lionel leant forward and kissed Katania, he had no idea what he would do when he saw Antonella again but he knew that there was no way that he would be taking a step back in life.

Sophie and Katania were going to be his future and Lionel was going to risk them, he just wanted some answers about what had happened to their baby.

***

Antonella sighed as she got off the phone with her best friend, she should have known that this day would come and she wished that she had told Lionel sooner about what had happened.

Shaking her head, Antonella set down her phone and moved to look out of her front window; she had finally moved on with her life and she was happy, she had someone who wanted the same thing out of life as her.

Antonella couldn’t imagine what would happen when she saw Lionel again, he had been a huge part of her life for six years and now they didn’t speak anymore; she missed him as a friend but she hoped that they could return to that.

“Is everything okay?” Thiago Montez asked stepping into the living room and staring at his girlfriend of three months, things were working out so well for them and he loved Antonella so much.

Antonella nodded her head as she turned to look at Thiago, she didn’t have any secrets from him and she had told him about the baby that she had nearly had with Lionel nearly a year ago now.

“I have to return to Barcelona… Leo found the sonogram,” Antonella explained gently, she walked over to her boyfriend and allowed him to wrap his arms around her; she cuddled into his arms wishing that she could have told Lionel earlier about what happened.

Thiago sighed holding Antonella close, he pressed a kiss to the top of her head knowing that he couldn’t let her go alone; he would help her since he had a feeling that Lionel wasn’t going to take this well.

“It’ll be okay, I’m sure he’ll understand,” Thiago whispered trying to comfort his girlfriend, he wanted to make her happy and he knew that there was no way that Antonella would be happy back as Lionel’s girlfriend.