Chapter Fifteen: Nightmares

Not even bothering to greet me, the man simply walked into the room and set the clipboard he held down on the counter, the heels of his shoes clicking methodically against the white tile flooring with each step he took. His face was expressionless; short hair pulled back in a small ponytail. White. The walls were white, the floor was white, LED lights blaring, and they matched perfectly with the coat the man wore.

I wanted to reach out and touch him, but my arms wouldn't move. They were restrained to the chair I was in, just like my legs were. My neck was held in place with a metal collar, tubes and wires running over my bare chest and connecting to a laptop at the other end of the room. I couldn't move. I was used to being helpless.

"What're you doing?" I asked him in a quiet voice, not daring to make him angry. The doctor never liked it when we spoke too loud. He didn't answer, just played on the keys of the computer; the same one I was connected to. I had been through this before, but it was usually a different test each time.

"Hello?" I called out to him once again, a little louder this time in case he didn't hear me. No answer.

A few awkward minutes later a woman walked in and handed something to the doctor; I didn't get to see what. She had long blonde hair, pulled up into a ponytail that reached past her back. She was the one who brought me clothes at night. "I have everything, Doctor." The woman said.

"Good. Is it stable?" The doctor answered her. I didn't know if he was talking about me.

The lady looked back behind me at something. "Heart rate is increasing fast; we may have to move quickly. Cardiac arrest would be unfortunate."

The doctor scoffed unprofessionally. "I'm not letting it's nerves get in the way of my experiment. Prepare the serum." It. That's all I was to them. It.

"We're ready, computer." The man finally started. His voice was silky, and almost made me calm. But I wasn't. My heart was pounding faster than ever, and a million thoughts were flooding through my mind in a minute. "Specimen one-two-four-eight. Age, twenty two. First trial. Pristine physical condition."

The woman's hands danced around somewhere beyond my vision as she opened up something, grabbing some kind of needle and bringing it back to me. It was a syringe, I had come to learn. A strange brown liquid was able to be seen through the glass part, and she knelt down next to me. "Please calm down." She said in a deadpan voice. I had a name. Nobody ever called me by it, but I knew it. Jungkook. Jeon Jungkook. It was on all of my papers.

Not giving me any warning, she stuck the length of the needle into the soft spot of my arm. I cringed, but she didn't react. My head started to swirl immediately. The woman backed up and stood with the doctor, who both had their eyes trained on me. I felt the substance clawing its way inside of me, like it was crawling through my veins. I got drowsy. My heartrate calmed. I couldn't feel the air around me.

A beep rang through the room.

Pain struck through my neck and down my abdomen. It reached every single corner of my body, the tips of my finger and toes and the blankness that was now my legs. My tail curled at the feel. My name is...

My name is...

Jeon...

Jeon...

Jung...

My name...

My...

Name...

...

---

"Hey, Jungkook. Wake up. I made breakfast." I said to the boy who was currently balled up in three total of my blankets. His forehead looked sweatier than usual.

When Jungkook didn't wake up nor stir, I grabbed the hem of the duvet that was flush with his chin and pulled it off of his body. That's when I noticed how hard he was breathing. His chest was pumping in and out furiously with each breath, a thin layer of perspiration worn on his bare chest. I also saw how his tail was tensed around the bulk of his thigh, and his ears were almost flat against his head.

His head suddenly jerked up, making me just back, and his body shuffled to the headboard of the bed as fast as he could. Jungkook let out a heart-wrenching scream. "Go-Get-Get away from me! Get away!" He yelled, hands moving to cover his sweat-ridden face.

Everything I had been feeling that morning now replaced with worry. I quickly sat down on the bed next to him and grabbed one of his wrists, laying the other hand on his leg to soothe him. "Hey! Hey! It's just me, Vivian, okay? It's just me. You're okay."

As I prompted his hands away from his face, I just had to stare at him and take it all in; he was a crying mess, tears leaving waterfall-like trails down his flushed cheeks. Before I could get another word in he roped his arms around me and pulled me into him, burying his nose into my shoulder and letting out sobs into my shirt just as he did in the bath the other night, but this time more violently.

I tried to wiggle myself into a more comfortable position in his lap, and when I did I began to stroke his back lovingly. "It's okay, Jungkook. You're safe." I comforted him.

The silence between us lasted a long time, mostly because Jungkook was crying too hard and couldn't get a comprehensible word out. I had all of the patience in the world for him, though, so I kept rubbing the back of his head in an attempt to calm him down. When he finally did, and his sobbing was reduced to little hiccups, I thought it'd be time to finally step in. "Jungkookie, can you talk to me?" I asked him softly.

He nodded against my chest.

I smiled to myself. "Alright, that's better. Do you think you could tell me what happened?"

Sniffling, the boy didn't pull his head up but finally started speaking. "I had a-a dream. A bad one." He said simply. His hands were balled into fists in the back of my t-shirt, squeezing the cloth tight.

"I'm sorry, Kook." I whispered into his ear. He hadn't aid anything, but for some reason I knew deep in my heart what the dream was about. "Do you want to tell me about it? It's okay if you don't."

"It was-" Sniffle. "It was when I was in the-the place. One of the things they did. To me." His voice grew more bitter which each sentence, along with his warm forehead pressing harder into my shoulder. "And this lady that was being mean to me, and she was the one who did everything. The doctor was mean. I don't want to go back, Vivie. If they find me here they're gonna take me back there, and they'll do something to you."

"I promised last night that I wouldn't let them take you away, yeah?" Cupping his cheeks in both of my hands, I pulled his face off of my shirt and looked him in his red, puffed up eyes. "And I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure nothing happens to you. Nobody's going to touch my Jungkook."

His smile widened, eyes bright. I loved that smile.

(author: hehehe)