Chapter One: Cries for Help

Today had been rainy; the sun had long since retreated and gave way to the night-time darkness, and the city sidewalks were slick with pools and puddles. The only thing that illuminated my path were the widely-spaced light posts, bulbs dim with age and not even giving off enough light for a cat on it's nightly prowl.

My car was in the shop, and I was forced to walk home in my office clothes in the wet weather, nothing shielding me but the thin umbrella I held. I felt like I was going to slip at any second in these heels. My boss had kept me in late for work, giving me extra paperwork. I didn't know exactly what he wanted from me, or what kind of grudge he had to give me so much work, but with the knowledge that if I didn't do it he could easily terminate my employment, I just sucked it up and did what he said. I was already struggling to pay for my tiny apartment; losing my job is the last thing I needed.

Graffiti and newspapers, posters and flyers were hung all along the back road wall that I was travelling next to, many of which done by clouded teenagers with nothing else better to do. If only I wasn't like them and left my parents when I turned eighteen, I could still be like that. But here I am, stuck in a dead-end job, working late nights and early hours just to get by. It sucked, but there was nothing I could do. The company was paying for me to go to school. It was the only chance I had to get an actually good occupation.

"Stupid rain." I grumbled to myself, yanking down my tight skirt in an attempt to shield myself from the cold. It didn't work. A wet newspaper flew up and smacked my face sticking to my skin, I picked it off gingerly and let it fall onto the wet pavement.

I was distracted by a loud yelp coming from inside of the alleyway next to me. Not a human, but an animal. I was obviously scared, but my curiosity outweighed my fear.

Looking to my side, I could barely see where the noises were coming from because of the singular light attached to the brick wall. It hurt my heart to hear, I had to help this poor animal.

I was scared, and I was still unsure of what I was going to see. The crying kept going, ringing out through my ears and the night sky. Behind a dumpster, laying directly under the street light was a little, black and white cat. I knelt down to get a closer look at it. Dirt and grime plagued its matted fur coat, and a gash spanned from the crook of its eye and down its cheek. It was probably caused by another cat, or maybe a dog. My heart dropped.

When I reached out to touch it, it hissed, this time louder and more panicked. I ran my hand down its unscathed fur, calming down the heavy breaths that racked through its little body. "Hey, hey, you're okay." I whispered. I took this time to look over the rest of its body for any other cuts. So it was a boy.

The cat finally came to its senses as its crying came to a halt. "See, that's better."

I wanted to take him home and take care of him, but my apartment didn't allow pets.

The way that cat's beady, pleading rich copper iris' burrowed into my soul, I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I didn't take him; at least just to get him cleaned up.

You know what?

What he doesn't know, doesn't hurt him.

Laying my umbrella down temporarily, I slid my pale hands under the shaking body and cradled it in one of my elbows. Making sure t was sitting comfortably, I picked the now wet umbrella back up off the ground and continued my trek home, new pet in my arm. His shivering eventually stopped, nestling into my shoulder for warmth.

---

"This is all better, now, isn't it, buddy?" I said to the small cat with a little smile on my face. It purred warmly as I poured another cup of lukewarm water over his back. I had to look up a few things to make sure I cared for him right, but I read that if I just treated the cut and left it uncovered to heal, it would be just fine and would heal shortly.