30

"So, if we add this powder to the stinky liquid inside the test tube, we should elicit a chemical reaction that allows us to proceed to the next step," Jisung mused, holding up a small metal spatula with just a few crumbles of white powder on it, going by a name that was too hard for the boys to remember.

Minho glanced at him, amusement twinkling in his eyes as the younger looked between the white powder and purple liquid with mild fascination.

"Are you trying to sound smart, Jisung?" he teased, and if it wasn't for Jisung holding a glass test tube with an unknown freaky-colored liquid in it, he would've poked his side gently, knowing that he would shy away with the cutest squeal.

The two were currently standing behind one of the work stations in the chemistry lab at school, completely forgetting the world around them as they tried to successfully complete an experiment given to the class by their chem teacher. There was no tension, no negativity, just a goofy Jisung with Minho looking at him with adoration. Neither of their classmates was paying them any mind, and it showed.

"I'm not trying, hyung," the brown-haired boy pouted. "This is really Han Jisung the mastermind in action. Watch and learn."

Minho snickered, watching how his lab partner slowly lifted the spatula, ready to toss the powder into the test tube. But right before he tipped the spatula, he froze, smiling sheepishly and looking at the older.

"Are you sure this is correct?"

For the nth time, Minho checked the worksheet they were given, and he nodded firmly.

"Yep, totally correct, mastermind."

With his white lab coat –full of stains created by other students during previous classes– pulled over his snug hoodue and his fluffy hair poking in every direction, Jisung looked beyond adorable, especially with his tongue poking from between his lips as he was completely focused on his task; pouring the powder into the tube without spilling anything.

As soon as the two chemical components came in contact, the powder dissolved rapidly. According to the worksheet, the liquid was supposed to change to a clear blue, but it turned a dull grey instead, smoke coiling up and spilling over the edge of the tube. Something wasn't going as it should, and the boys both frowned as more and more smoke kept pouring out of the glass test tube. Then, with a splatting sound, the glass snapped, sending small shatters flying and the muddy liquid poured out freely, smudging the ink in their notebooks and ruining the paper.

A few seconds of silence passed, and Jisung pouted until Minho burst out in laughter. The younger was quick to follow, and they stared at the mess in front of them, not even bothering to wonder what they did wrong.

"Didn't we mention how we made such a great team a while ago?" Jisung said, practically wheezing.

"No way that I'm going to withdraw that statement, though," Minho said, joy spreading through him as he saw the adorable smile that tugged on Jisung's lips.

"You better not," the younger grinned, grabbing his textbook to save it from being soaked by the liquid that smelled even worse now.

The situation was funny, even when they realized they had a mess to clean now. Too late they realized that half of the class was staring at them, and they only noticed when a guy standing at the work station next to theirs spoke up.

"Imagine messing up an experiment as trivial as this," he scoffed, pushing his hair back with a cocky grin.

"So Han is cursed in more than just one way, huh?" someone else spoke up, and a girl next to them pouted pitifully.

"It's sad to see how Minho oppa is suffering from it, too," she said, and just like that, the light mood had dropped to something gloomy, a layer of bitterness they were too used to these days.

Anger coiled in Minho's stomach once again, a thing that happened on a daily during school days. He wanted to say something back, a snarky remark, wishing for her to suffer as well. He couldn't stand the way the smile disappeared of Jisung's face, his shoulders drooping and his eyes going dull again after sparkling so brightly just a minute earlier. But he didn't speak up, and opted for grabbing Jisung's hand under the surface of the station instead, giving it a reassuring squeeze out of sight of everyone.

His eyes searched the chemistry lab, hoping to find the teacher –mr. Song– but he wasn't anywhere to be found.

Minho remembered him saying something about being allowed to leave the lab once you finished your experiment. Their experiment wasn't done, but they were both done with it, which was close enough to finishing it in Minho's mind.

They were going to leave the chemistry lab, maybe even the entire school for today. The older didn't feel like staying there any longer, and he was positive the younger shared that feeling.

Jisung seemed to catch on, and they gathered their belongings and left, not even bothering to clean up their mess.

"Bye, losers," a voice called out after them as they exited the lab, and Minho would've turned around right there and then if it wasn't for the smaller placing a hand on his shoulder.

"They are just big empty shitheads, Sung," Minho breathed out, angry and upset. "Please don't believe anything of what they said."

Jisung smiled at him, but unlike before, it was sad and empty and Minho hated it. He hated how there always seemed to be something that took the boy's happiness away. In his opinion, Han Jisung deserved the entire fucking world with all the happiness and good things in it, and he wished that he was powerful enough to keep all the shit away from the younger, to shield him from the bad things so he could stay happy forever.

But he was just Lee Minho.

They put their lab coats back where they got them and soon walked out of the science building, only to be greeted with a gloomy gray sky and soft droplets of rain pouring down.

So often had Minho compared himself to these glum days full of dull grays and dreary rain. So often had he felt like there wasn't any sunshine left inside of him. It never really bothered him. Until he met a boy who was as gloomy as he was, and now he wanted nothing but to become the light in his life. He wanted to push through the thick layer of cumulus clouds inside of him, freeing the forgotten version of himself that could actually make Jisung happy –or so he hoped.

"Let's do something fun," Minho suddenly said, deciding to start his new goal immediately. "Is there anything you'd like to do?"

Jisung glanced up, and Minho almost melted on spot as a pair of big round eyes looked at him, the younger's lips still in a small pout.

"Anything, as long as you are there," came the reply, nothing but a soft mumble before the smaller looked away again.

But Minho had heard it loud and clear, and he couldn't help but smile a little. Jisung had dropped his cold and distant act now that they were alone on the campus, and it was a rare moment where he looked so small and vulnerable to a point where the older just wanted to hug him.

Jisung was strong. It was something Minho learned about the younger pretty soon after meeting. He admired it, but it also made him want to console him in moments where he showed weakness even more.

"Let's think of something together," Minho suggested. "But let's get some snacks first, I'm pretty hungry."

He would probably let the other choose whatever he wanted. Heck, even if he wanted to raid the entire snack isle in the seven eleven, Minho would make it work out somehow.

He wasn't sure which side of him was currently thinking; the side that cared about Jisung deeply or the side that was just whipped for the younger beyond belief. But did it matter? All sides of Minho had one big thing in common.

Minho just wanted Jisung to be happy.