4 - When Pineapples Go Rogue

The class fell silent. It was almost deafening. Were they THAT curious about where I came from?

"Well, I just lived not far from here."

"Is that all?"

I can feel their eyes on me. I shouldn't go about telling it all to them.

"Well, I... came from Mostyn Goff Boys' High. I didn't quite like it there, so this is the best possible school I could apply to with my background and quotient status"

I forced on myself a smile, which contradicts my turtle lifestyle and gray character.

"Oh, I see. Sorry for the seemingly intrusive question. I hope you like it here!"

Before I knew it, the class regained its energy and frustration.

Mostyn Goff is where one of my distant cousins study. It ranks quite decently in the city. I'm lucky they didn't have to dig in further.

"Hey, did you hear? Zero from that top-ranked school was expelled. Already!"

"Woah, really? I was rooting for him, though. Didn't expect that'll happen to him."

"Yeah. I also heard that some members of their council were removed for supposedly siding with him. Isn't it scary?"

"I wonder where he is now."

"Well, rumors say that he went to..."

A tall figure stood by the door. The two girls weren't aware that she was there moments ago.

"Miss Igarashi, Miss Soojin."

"Oh, sorry!"

"Seriously, class is starting!"

"I heard we have a new student here. Mind doing the introduction?", she said with a smirk.

12:02 PM, ES Charter High Cafeteria

The food stalls were empty, and the kitchen was the only one serving food. The walls and the roof were already worn out. It hasn't been fixed for years.

"My, their food really sucks here."

"It can't be helped. Our school sucks overall. Oh, it's Shirai-san!"

Oh, it's Oreki. And the bald. And the fat one.

"Why are you running away? Haha, come sit with us!"

I sat down at their table. My mashed potatoes and salad looked more like stew and... cow feed?

"Are you staying on-campus?"

"Nope."

"Woah, really? Students are encouraged to live in the campus, since it is really far from the city." He said with a seemingly forced smile.

Awkward silence followed after.

"Where do you live around here?"

"Why do you want to know? It's a secret."

"Aw, so you're the type who keeps secrets, huh? Hahaha, just kidding.", Seki jokingly said.

More silence. I can hear people talking and the clashing of spoons on plates. The only distinct sound I can hear in our table is Joshua's chewing.

Hah. I'm excited to see what their dorms look like.

"By the way, don't expect the dorms to be nice and posh and things like that. You'll be dissapointed. You're lucky." Seki said with laughter.

The bell rang. Lunchtime's over.