Ch 28 - Getting Grip

Time to try out your second technique.

Enjoy.

~~~~~

A few hours after lunch you are going to the training area where Ikki is waiting. He is your mentor at this point. Did help you find the Spider Web technique as well. Today was the first time trying it. What Ikki did was set up a whole area. In the grass set up a log in the middle of a circle. The circle was ten meters in diameter. Then outside the circle by three meters were trees, bushes, or piles of logs. 

"Hey Ikki what's happening?" You ask him. 

"This is one of the first tests. Picture the log in the circle as your opponent. The circle on the outside is where you stop and and attack again. If you don't stop yourself, you're going into the brush or the wood pile. So you charge up, strike, land, strike, land, and repeat. There are concerns as if you are going to be able to land and maintain your speed. That's the difference between winning and losing this exercise." 

"So the grass is either going to catch me or I won't grip and crash."

"Correct." Nodded Ikki.

"So I nail it, slip, or crash. Fair enough. You think this is work on rock ground?"

"I'm unsure. The kind of rock, how clean or dirty the surface is, and so on. I would have to see the battle ground."

You thought about it. "I wonder if my mother can get a picture of it. Could really help me out."

"Ready?" Asked Ikki curious about the event about to unfold.

"This is my livelihood. Challenge accepted."

You get to one end of the circle. Trying to line yourself up. Picturing the log in the center as Erick Von. During your examination of the mock battlefield and getting your concentration, your girlfriend showed up. She walked next to Ikki to see what was going on.

"The Spider Web?" Looking over.

"That's the one." Grinned Ikki. "Hope this works."

"Hope?" Stella was nervous now. Hope isn't a plan after all.

"This is a test. Experiments aren't a pass worth flying colors the first time around."

"Well," Stella sighed. "Rather have it here than the battle in Denmark."

"Exactly."

At the time you get out your device. Charging up your wind power and taking a deep breath. It was time to try this out. After all the recovery time and stamina training this was it. Stage two of the HOKO. Time to zoom.

You lunge forward. You were going at light speed and with your control was able to see and identify much slower. Nearly at regular pace. You are able to strike successfully. Then as you get near the line you plant your left foot that is closer to the circle. Attempting to plant your feet diagonally and lunge again. Except...

"Wah!" You slipped. What you landed on was wet grass and mud. With your momentum you slide and head feet first into the wood pile. "UGH!"

"(FN)!" Cried Stella.

"Hmmm. He's faster than I thought." Ikki observed.

"Hello. You saw him battle." Stella walked closer to the mock arena. "Honey? What happened?"

"I slipped." You called throwing the logs aside so you can stake it back up.

"Another angle?"

"I guess. Hopefully I'm not a bowling ball next time."

( "I WANTED TO GO BOWLING!!!

-Fro Zone / The Incredibles )

~~~~~

A continent away is Erick Von brushing the mead out of his beard. After push ups, guards, and axe swings he was on his second mead. In the hall where guards were welcomed by a former blacksmith now founder, owner, and operator of The Mead Hall. The best tavern in those parts. Erick Von was having a few rounds with other guards and knights off duty.

"Hey Erick Von, how's the training going?" Asked a knight.

"I'm not prime age anymore, but there's something there?" He raised his mug.

"This boy something to be rave about?" Asked a guard. "He is your son correct?"

"I don't see him any strength as his old man now." Laughed Erick Von.

"So you see his match about how he and Sune battled? He won?"

"One shot isn't taking me down George. You should know better than that."

"Aren't you concerned about your vision, timing, and speed? He vanished and knocked out Sune. He could have killed him." Which you could of. But you kept your blades in phantom form.

"I'm experiencing doubt Heins. I'm a veteran. A Royal Guard. Who do you think you're talking to here?" Erick Von took a big gulp from his mug. "I'll need another in a minute."

"Erick Von aren't you underestimating your opponent? What will it be?"

"Well George I'm strong to take a hit. Our weapons will be in phantom form for the battle anyway. One strike won't work on me. If I block it just right he is done for. My axe will bring his glory to ruin. He may be my son but he does not carry my good genes."

Heins looked at him in disgust. "What is the good and bad?"

"Oh he's got my looks. No question. But the face isn't all the moneymaker. And besides, no muscles, lacks beard, weak in strength. You think that will beat me?"

George shook his head. "How are you against speed?"

"Speed can't hit well. How would speed defeat a strong Viking?"

George looked over to Heins. Erick Von was acting very cocky and arrogant. Barely seeing footage of you fighting and thinking he will be okay. Was it the mead or did he truly think that he had nothing to worry about? Either way, you'll get yours as they say. With Erick Von's attitude, he didn't know what he was in for. The potential of changing his life forever.

~~~~~

Never, underestimate.

-Rel