CHAPTER XI: LEI

She saw the light flicker in the small lamppost a few feet in front of her as the familiar lawn came into view. The bed of colourful flowers was already swallowed by the darkness when they left the tall trees behind them. Their footsteps echoed in the forest and the fireflies lighted their path. An owl hid in a tree when they passed but continued to stare them. A group of bunnies cowered behind a bush. She started to play with the straps of her bag and hummed a tune to hide her uneasiness.

But no matter what Lei did and where she looked, she was really uncomfortable.

Skhy Wright strolled behind her while she trudged and shambled. She walked in an awkward stride but she was too tired to think about what he thought of her. Since Ashley left and he followed her home, Lei could feel his eyes on her back like something was stuck on it. Was it a stare or a glare?

Earlier, they exchanged names and he asked where her aunt was. Surprise was evident on his face when he found out that she was Eliot and Celeste Thorneridge's daughter but remained silent throughout their walk.

Their house was surrounded by a large garden that she grew with her aunt. But Lei's favourite consisted of the flower bed on the left side of the lawn. Lilacs outnumbered the rest but tonight, only the light from the lamppost illuminated on them. Her aunt usually drinks her tea and spent her leisure on the round wooden table with three chairs located in the centre of the vegetable garden. Behind the house, a small wooden storage of seeds and gardening tools stood beside the garden of herbs.

Lights shone from the yellow two-story wooden house and she could hear a faint melody as Lei and Skhy approached her home. They neared the front door when it suddenly opened, revealing her aunt in a peach long-sleeved dress that fell just below the knees and a blue apron. Her expression was a mixture of shock and sadness that turned into joy and relief in a blink of an eye.

"Mrs. Emmy", Skhy whispered behind her. Her aunt raised her arms on her side and smiled while her tears fell down on her now pink cheeks. Skhy dropped her backpack and ran towards her. Their embrace lasted for about a quarter of an hour without any word.

She could not see Skhy's expression so Lei stared on her aunt's face. She must have been relieved to see a friend. Lei was also glad to see her aunt happy but another feeling followed. She pictured herself entering the Academy without knowing anyone and it made her melancholic. She knew her aunt longed to be home but what about her? Could she consider the Academy as her home? There's only one way to find out.

Her aunt's eyes opened and gasped as she saw Lei quietly observing them.

"Oh my, I'm sorry dear," her aunt exclaimed and released Skhy from her embrace. Lei smiled at her aunt to let her know that everything was fine.

"You met my beautiful niece." Her aunt smiled at Lei with eyes filled with adoration while Skhy just stared at her.

"Yes, Mrs. Emmy. We fought together earlier," Skhy blurted. She glared at him.

"Oh heavens. That's why you were late," her aunt cried with her hand on her chest. Lei continued to glare at Skhy who just shrugged at her and turned to look at her aunt. He could have opened the topic without startling her aunt.

"I'm sorry, but Lei was fine." She saw Skhy smiled for the first time today. A dimple appeared on his left cheek. She observed his interaction with her aunt. He started off as a cold uncanny guy towards her to a cheerful but composed lad in front of her aunt.

Of course, you're a stranger to him.

"Exactly," she muttered.

"Come now, dear." She blinked several times and noticed that she was the only one outside. Her aunt held the door open for her while Skhy was out of sight.