CHAPTER II: SKHY

With his feet on his desk, while humming a song Skhy does not know, he saw Mr. Laccquare reading a magazine when he returned. He knew the old librarian's every day routine. Living in the basement of the school, there was a staircase inside the library; breakfast was usually from five to five-thirty in the morning. He'd be cleaning the shelves by six to seven before the students came. The majority of his time was spent in his desk; watching the kids or reading a book. Noon was crucial for him because he needed to trust his assistant to be his substitute. Sometimes, he ate in his desk, afraid that "students will burn his home down", he said.

"I'm going to borrow this." Skhy gave the book for inspection. "It was my father's. I never knew he wrote a book. Did you know?"

"Of course. I know this library like I know myself. This is my life, boy." He returned the book to Skhy after punching the card. "Did you learn something?"

"Yes." He replied, excited about the new information. It must be because of his inquisitive attitude that his parents trusted him for this mission.

"That's good." His gaze returned to his magazine, while Skhy walked towards the door. He was already gripping the handle when Mr. Laccquare spoke. "I trust you, boy. But remember; never trust anyone in this school. If you will, choose them carefully."

"I will." There was only silence when he came out to the library, but he knew that the night guards were in their shift now. He needed to get his bag in his locker. Located at the west wing, his locker was near the Wind Elemental Classroom. The hallway was empty; everyone had gone home except for a few professors and the janitors.

It was already a quarter before nine when he exited the main building. Home was just five minutes away so he used to walk every day. By now, every family in their neighbourhood were eating dinner; talking about their day and laughing with their children. On the other hand, their Victorian house was filled with silence and darkness when his parents died. He missed his parents terribly but he cannot bring them back.

The three-story house stood opposite the town's park. It looked deserted and gloomy unlike their neighbours' cosy and well-lit homes. The gate creaked when he opened it, and a maid came rushing out of the house towards her master and bowed down. He only smiled. At least someone was welcoming him home.

"Dinner is ready, young master."

"I'm going to eat in my study. Thank you." He replied, knowing that it was another sleepless night.

Exhausted, he lay in his bed for a moment before changing his uniform. I need to start working, he thought. His navy king-sized bed near the window was too big for him. He never used the television set. The walls were completely bare, just like he wanted it. A door beside his bed led to his study, where dozens and dozens of books occupied the selves. After changing, he set down the book and the letter on the desk. There was nothing in his desk beside a picture of his parents and few documents to sign. He basically lived in his own, with the maids and other servants in the house.

He sat in his chair and opened Mrs. Emmy's letter. A month ago, he sent her a message regarding his mission and asked if she has any knowledge about them. Unfortunately, she was already out of the country three months ago and did not receive his letter. Mr. Knightwood must have sent her a message long before I did.

He opened the paper. The letter said:

Mr. LeonKnightwood,

I'm out of the country searching for a place to relax, but I'll be back. Soon.

Tell Skhy. Be safe.

Mrs. Emmy Anderson

Compared to her other letters to him; this one was brief and direct to the point. There was no description of the places she visited or her usual jokes. She must be in a hurry. Quite suspicious. Skhy noticed that the words "I'm out", "searching", "relax", "Skhy" and "be safe" were bolded a bit compared to the other letters. The letters e and x in 'relax' were uppercased. Or was it just the ink? But Mrs. Emmy does not do mistakes. She wanted everything to be neat and clean.

He wrote the bold words in another paper.

"I'm out searching relax Skhy be safe."

Was it a code? A hidden message for me?

"Searching for what?" Then it struck him. He started decoding the message. Then he remembered her last day in the academy, the class wanted to have lunch with her before she goes and she said: "I'm out." Everyone was disappointed but she explained that, for her, "I'm out" means "I'm on u'r team" and laughed afterward.

I'm on your team searching... now, what does she mean by relax?

When they were studying codes, R means 'received' – when you obtain an item or met a person you were searching for. Did she found something? Or someone? The uppercase E might mean East. 'La' is the sixth tone of the diatonic scale in solmization and X as the roman number for ten.

He started to write it down.

I'm on your team. Searching. Received. East. 6/10.

He stood up and started packing. Mrs. Emmy must know something that's why she gave him a hidden message.

The only thing he knew was he has less than a week to prepare. A sudden change of plan. But someone was waiting for him in the eastern woodland.