CHAPTER I: SKHY

The hallway was filled with students when the clock strikes five in the afternoon. The sun was already setting and the sky was turning bright orange. Students came out of the classroom doors, tired from the restless day. It was Sunday but they went to school seven times a week, depending on their schedule. The footsteps echoed and everyone was rushing outside to go home. But Skhy Wright had other plans.

The Academy was founded long before their great grandparents' grandparents were born, but the structures were modernized to hide its age from the public's eye. The main building consisted of the Elemental chambers, where students learn about their elements and history; the Grand Genesis, the main library; professors' personal rooms, and learning classrooms. The Arsenal was located in the Armoury building, where students learned about weapons and ammunition.

When everyone was rushing towards the main gate, Skhy walked towards the main library. By now, it was empty, except for the old librarian who's been living there since his parents started studying in the school. There was so much to do. And he was already behind his schedule.

He rounded a corner and faced the door of the Grand Genesis. Everything about their history and abilities could be found there, but books closed to the public were hidden in the basement. Only chosen few were allowed in the secret chamber where protected archives were held. The books have eyes, the librarian told him, and they chose who can see what's inside their cover.

He had no time to spare. He had been studying the ancient ruins of the warfare for a year.

Concordians and Mortemians had been in war for centuries but the worst one exploded three years ago. It lasted for three months and left severe damage to both legions. But until now, no one knew how it really ended. The attacks just stopped. There were also students who had gone missing after the battle. There were mysteries behind the Bellum Angeli et Daemones, or the so-called the Eschaton war, and Skhy was determined to find the answers. Only a few of the old Concordians survived, including his parents. Those who survived continued to train in this school, the Lux Signifer Academy. For 500 years, the school stood and trained knights and soldiers to defend humanity from evil monsters and witchcrafts.

Everyone thought the Eschaton was the last war, but before the attacks from Mortemians ended, the remaining enemies threatened to strike again. Gathering the greatest fighters wasn't enough; a prophecy foresaw that evil could only be stopped by the chosen Seven Regalis or Royals. They were the Virum de Lumine, Warriors of Light; and Potens Verax, Warriors of Truth. But no one knew who and where they are. Some thought it was a crazy prediction, but others, like his parents, believed that they were real. They must be found and trained before the war. And maybe, they might uncover the mysteries behind the last war.

Skhy pushed the handle of the door and stepped inside. It always amazed him how huge their library was. Everything about the existence of their kind- the past, present, and even, the future- remained here. The library was as huge as a three-floored stadium and there was a conventional basement- where private archives were hidden.

Skhy studied in the Chronicles section for weeks, where he learned about the ancient wars and heroes. It included the Myths and Prophecy sections. This was his last month in the school before he starts his journey and he must learn everything he needs to know. Today, he was going to the Ammunition section to read ancient magic and weaponry. He wanted to know what he's up against. He knew that his abilities were not enough to stop the Mortemians attacks; it will only buy him enough time for his search. Before his parents died, they taught him about the elements that strengthen every weapon. Each weapon requires the right element for it to function, without this, the weapon will not obey the handler. The insignia, or symbol on the body, marks one's power or rank in the legions.

Considered as a myth, the Warriors of Light and Truth possessed powers stronger than any Concordians or Mortemians. But after the prophecy of the Seven Regalis, it was not a legend anymore. Their strength and ability were incomparable. They could change the course of the universe if they wanted to. But they could also be the source of the world's destruction if their powers were not properly used.

Books were floating in the air when he turned the corner towards Mr. Jaque Laccquare's desk, the good old librarian- a chubby grey-haired man with a long mustache, who's probably more suited to be a magician than a librarian.

"Hello Mr. Laccquare, how are you doing?" The librarian looked at him with his hands in the air swaying back and forth like a master of the orchestra.

"Good but still old." This was Mr. Laccquare's fancy way of saying "there's nothing new".

"Did Mrs. Emmy Anderson reply?" There was urgency in Skhy's voice.

"Nope, lad. But Mr. Knightwood said that he received a letter from her 2 weeks ago saying that she's out of the country." Mr. Laccquare walked towards his desk while the books were still in the air. Mr. Leon Knightwood was their Premier or the President of the school. He had been helping Skhy throughout his mission, and he was his parents' colleague and close friend.

"This is her letter." He provided a pink short envelop from his desk.

Skhy accepted the letter. Though the blank cover seemed unusual, it smelled like it bathed in perfume overnight. It was from Mrs. Emmy alright. She was a refine and outspoken scholar of the school. She had been a Magic professor long before he was born, became Premier, and retired three years ago. Her husband died in the Eschaton war, but she remained cheerful and unreserved as always. Skhy was disappointed to see her go, but she had been in the institution for 40 years and she also needed time for herself.

"Why didn't Mr. Knightwood give it to me directly?" He placed the letter in his breast pocket. He was going to read it later.

"The Consortium is on his tail." Mr. Laccquare faced the other way but Skhy noticed the librarian's stiff shoulders. The Consortium was the board of members of the academy. They made the rules and regulations to ensure the safety of everyone. However, they rejected the existence of the Seven, and shut the idea of searching for them.

Skhy knew that his mission was dangerous, but it was his parents' last wish.

"You should start digging, boy. Time will not wait for you." The librarian settled in his chair and the books flew towards the shelves one by one.

"Thank you, Mr. Laccquare." The old man smiled without looking at him. Skhy walked towards his destination. It was only a couple feet from Mr. Laccquare's desk but he felt that it was more than that. Though alone, darkness does not scare him anymore. He was already used to the silence, the darkness. He knew that someday, the dark will try to devour the light, but he was not going to sit back and do nothing about it.

Everything seemed familiar. These books were nothing but new. Skhy already read these books but it felt like he missed something. He walked towards the end of the shelves when he saw a book entitled "Abecedarian".

"Well, this is new."

What surprised him was the name of the author.

"Arthur Wright. Dad." Skhy found a good place to sit and started reading. Like him, his father was not a writer. He never mentioned ever writing a book before. Arthur's forte was teaching weaponry, and he taught his son every day. Silver Price, his mother, on the other hand, loved to write. Being the head of Elemental department, she was close to nature and loved gardening.

He flipped through the pages and found everything his parents' taught him - the elements being the components that give powers to their weapons. While reading, he found a paper between the pages with a diagram on it. There were seven circles with different symbols, and they were connected through chains. It struck him that the symbols might be the Seven's insignias. But the pictures were so blurry that he cannot recognize any of them. Also, the next pages were written in a language he does not know. But he knew that it will help him through his search.

His hand watch ticked eight in the evening. He was going to borrow the book to take down notes. When he stood up, a note fell from the book. He recognized the handwriting. His father must have left it there before they put the book in the library.

There were only eight letters in the brown paper.

T.F.A.M.C.W.N

Another mystery he was going to find out.