CHAPTER V: LEI

The clanging of metals sound woke her from her deep slumber. Adjusting to the bright light from her opened window, Lei Quinn yawned, removed her blanket and stood up to start her day. After stretching, she took a bath and brushed her teeth. Looking at the mirror, she chose to wear her usual clothes today - white long sleeved shirt, brown vest, black tight pants and brown boots. This helped her blend into the woods. After packing her things, she fixed her bed. Beside her single yellow bed, she also tidied her wooden desk full of papers and books. The white door beside the desk led to her tree house. Even though her room was quite small, she loved it. She was close to nature; that's what matters. She picked her bag pack. Walking down the stairs, she heard a crash, like a metal dropped.

"Oh dear", she heard someone gasped when she neared the kitchen. Clutching a saucer, her aunt, tried to balance the heavy bowl on her left hand while cooking the sausage. Her short dark chestnut hair bounced whenever she swayed. She was shorter than Lei but much stronger than meets the eye. Dressed in her yellow Sunday dress covered with an orange apron, she appeared younger yet she celebrated her fiftieth birthday last month.

"I'll do that," Lei took the bowl and put it at the top drawer.

"Thank you, dear." Her aunt continued frying the sausage while Lei placed the plates, utensils and glasses on the table. She noticed the blue lilacs on the vase at the center of the table. A variety of flowers like lilac, roses and tulips occupied the wide garden located beside their cottage. Her aunt loved gardening. And so was she.

Breakfast was served after ten minutes.

"So what are you going to do today?" her aunt smiled at her.

"Literature. I like reading but I'm not sure about making poem and other stuffs. " She was never good at writing.

"You can do it. You're an excellent student." Her aunt started stating her talents in school. Lei laughed when she mentioned cooking with uncertain expression.

"Yeah, but I like helping here in the farm and the forest." She felt at home whenever she was close to nature.

"Nope. I can manage. Just focus on your study." Her aunt smiled again and stood up to clean the table. Then she remembered the school. Not just any ordinary school. But the school her aunt always talked about.

"Auntie, when are we going to the Academy?" She wanted to go there and be close to her roots. Her aunt explained her history but not everything. Somehow, it was unbelievable but she saw how her aunt fought. Her aunt had been teaching her how to use her skills for three years now.

Her aunt stiffened, but did not look at her. "Soon, my dear, soon." Then she continued cleaning the dishes.

"Okay, I'll go now." She knew the right time will come.

"Good luck, dear, and be careful, ok?" her aunt shouted before she exited the kitchen.

"Sure, you too." Grabbing her bag on the couch, she looked at herself in the mirror. Unlike her mother and aunt's dark brown hair, she inherited her father's raven hair. Her aquamarine eyes glittered with excitement for today. She planned on going to the river after class to practice her Expansion spell. I hope it'll turn out okay.

Once outside, her eyes adjusted to the bright sun and focused to the scenery in front of her. Broad trees stood around her, while their leaves bent to the wind's desire. She could hear the singing of the crickets and birds flew overhead. Beside the cottage, grown plants and flowers spread the lawn. Her favourite lilacs outnumbered the rest. Their home was located on the east side of town inside the forest.

Then she remembered when she first met her aunt three years ago. She had been living alone since her adopted parents died. After working late in the town's library, she was walking alone when four teenagers, a girl and three guys, stopped her in her tracks. There was nothing unusual about them except they were all dressed in black. And they were walking towards her. They looked like they were in a gang or something.

"Hello. What can I do for you?" she politely asked. They did not reply, instead they kept coming towards her. Looking around, she saw no one that could help her. It was already ten in the evening. The nearby stores were already close, and there was no police station at close quarters. Oh God, is it already my time? But I didn't do anything wrong to them.

Then she saw the street light flicker, and when it turned back on, the teenagers were already holding unusual swords and huge hammer. Where did they come from? She stared at their weapons.

"Lei Quinn", the guy holding a long black sword said. With his bulky arms and legs, his long red hair does not go with his wrestler-like body. But he was still scary. She intended to run but they cornered her beside a tree at the side of the road.

"Yes?" she whispered, looking between their swords. They might strike any time. And by the looks of their deadly weapon, there was nothing left for her to do but answer their questions.

"Lei Amethyst, Elemental: Nature, second daughter of the House of Thorneridge", he continued. Behind her, the girl with short blonde hair nudged her with the huge hammer. Wait, House of what?

"You've got the wrong girl. I'm not a daughter of the house of whatever-that-you-said." Relief spread through her body when she realized that she was not the person they were looking for. But the four did not budge. Pointing his weapon to her, the red haired guy moved towards her. She gasped involuntarily.

"I told you, you've got the wrong girl!" she screamed.

"We are never wrong", the girl behind her said. They were ready to attack when the ground below their feet began to shake.

"Earthquake?" she asked no one in particular. But the buildings around them were not shaking.

"You should duck", someone whispered. Looking behind her, she stared at the tree, confused.

"What the heck is happening, Quiver?" the blonde girl screamed, looking at the red-haired guy.

"Quiver?" He must have noticed the humour in Lei's voice that a deep furrow formed in his brow and he moved towards her, gripping his swords.

"Duck," the voice behind her commanded, and she obeyed without second thought, lowering her body towards the ground. She saw the branches of the trees moved and hit the four villains. Every part of her mind screamed that everything was a dream. Yet the branches kept on hitting the teenagers in front of her.

"Who are you?" she heard the blonde girl screamed. Even though she managed to cut the branches, they kept on growing back. The other two men, who looked like twins with messy brown hair, were already down. Averting her gaze to the red-haired guy, Lei saw Quiver coming towards her. Oh no.

"I'm gonna cut that good-for-nothing tree," he said. "Then I'm going to kill you." He grinned mischievously.

"If you touch her, I will kill you." A short brown haired lady appeared behind the tree and moved in front of her so the villain cannot come closer. She looked like she was in her fifties but she confidently faced the two remaining villains. But Lei doubted that she can do anything, especially when the enemies have enormous weapons.

"I know you're trying to help, but I think we're really going to die", she whispered to the nice lady. "Oh don't worry, dear, I still have few tricks on my sleeves," the lady responded without looking at her. A part of her wanted to grab the woman's hand and run as fast as she could. But she knew it was hopeless, so she remained behind her with only the tree to support her trembling body.

"Get out of here. There's nothing you can do. We only wanted her," Quiver said, anger was obvious on his now injured face. Did they know the lady? They must have. Quiver positioned to their right, clenching his sword, while the girl held her hammer with both hands. They were ready to fight the nice old lady.