Chapter 1

"Raven, my father has been looking everywhere for you."

The girl in the haystack waved a hand dismissively at her companion without sparing him a glance, hoping to go back to whatever dream occurring in her sleep.

"Break isn't over yet, tell the old man that I need to take my nap." She turned her back towards him, uninterested in whatever matters the Alpha Duke is going through.

"It's about the Royal pack."

She hummed and peeked through her long lashes to see Gabriel's face full of worry. Slowly, Raven sat up and stretched her arms while strings of hay were caught in her jet black hair but she made no attempt to get rid of them.

"Besides, what are you doing here?" He asked. "You could take a nap in the pack house or barracks instead of sleeping in the stables."

She shrugged. "Bothersome."

A horse nearby neighed as if agreeing to Raven's response. The stables were the perfect place to hide and take a nap, she should take note of it.

"They're sending some of the Noble pack members." Gabriel said.

Raven rolled her eyes. "I'm aware. Unfortunately, they do it every year and the Alpha King could do whatever he wants to recruit whoever catches his eye."

Gabriel gulped visibly and rubbed his neck nervously. "Your name is on the list."

There was a pause as her companion waited for an outburst or some kind of a reaction.

"Oh."

"Oh?" Gabriel's eyebrows shot up in surprise. "That's all you've got to say?"

She shrugged lazily. "Maybe it's a mistake."

He grabbed both of Raven's shoulders and looked at her straight in the eye. "You're leaving Noble pack."

"Who says I'm going?" She retorted and raised an eyebrow before Gabriel slumped his back and let go of her shoulders, running a hand through his ginger hair while chuckling lightly.

"Why am I having this conversation with a lunatic like you?" He said and shook his head.

"You know me best." She smirked and stood up from the bundles of hay.

"What are you going to do then?" He asked.

"He's your father, isn't he? I'm sure we can convince him."

"I can't say, he always keeps his eye out for you. My father wouldn't have agreed to put your name on the list. You are, after all, this pack's prime mover." He replied.

"I only have dumb luck, Gabriel." Raven only said and punched his shoulder. "Your father is a strong-willed man but we'll figure something out eventually."

A loud creek followed when Gabriel closed the door to the stables, he would have to remind his Gamma to fix it later, considering his skills with handiwork were better than Gabriel's.

"He is..." Raven paused and gave him a smile as they started to go to Gabriel's father. "Entirely bothersome."

Gabriel still remembered the story vividly.

The rank of the dame was given to Raven at a rather young age, she wasn't from a wealthy family nor was she entitled to anything worthy enough of a rank.

Alpha Duke James is a strategic and smart man but his decision raised a handful of questions, including Gabriel's in the past.

The pack members argued that she is an orphan, the misfit of the Noble pack. The high-ranked werewolves were furious even after she was granted the title.