→ prologue ←

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

third pov

It was a calm evening but TOO calm for an event that was about to be witnessed.

A family of four was driving back to their home late at night, talking among themselves after a road trip to a Louguetown. The father was Ryan O'Malley, a scientist who created devil fruits. Along with him is his wife, Tiana O'Malley who worked along with him.

In the back seat of the car was a 13-year old Smoker who was watching over 2-years old Reina O'Malley.

"Smoker, how is Reina doing?" Mr.O'Malley asked. "She's sleeping right now." Smoker answered and Mrs. O'Malley softly chuckled. "You should get some rest too Smoker. You had so much fun at Louguetown,"

"I did! And it was amazing to see the historical statues they have there too!" Being happy about their trip and the parents were glad.

A sudden explosion from the engine happened followed by the car flipping over onto the empty road, making its passengers injured from the fatal crash.

Groaning in pain, Smoker found himself and Reina's parents upside down hung by their seatbelts. "Tiana... Are you okay?" Mr. O'Malley asked first before turning to his wife, who was bleeding.

"I-I'm fine dear... I don't think I will be making it..." She weakly said before coughing out blood. "Same with me, my legs can't seem to move anymore..." Seeing how his legs were trapped in the engine. Before anything else, Mr. O'Malley had remembered about Smoker and Reina in the back. "Smoker, Quickly grab Reina and leave the car," Mr. O'Malley ordered but Smoker didn't want to.

"Wait! I can't leave without you guys!" Smoker cried as he was trying to control the smoke from the explosion, hoping it would do something. It was only a few months with his devil fruits ability but he was strong enough.

"...Don't worry about us Smoker, it was bound to happen," Mr. O'Malley smiled weakly. "Be sure to take care of our daughter Smoker, you'll be an amazing brother for her," Mrs. O'Malley said before she coughed out more blood. "No... I can't let you guys die!"

"Smoker... Just remember that we love you as our son..."

And those words hit him, hard.

Feeling so frustrated, he unbuckled his seatbelt and picked up Reina in his arms. Being lucky that the car door was able to open and so he got out safely. But before then, Smoker stopped to say something to his adoptive parents. 

"I-I'll never forget about you guys for everything you've done for me! I'll be sure to take care of Reina and protect her!" He exclaimed while swore it to his parent. Running away from the car before another explosion happened. Slowly, he turned to see the car now engulfed with flames. 

Watching Reina's parents burn right in front of his eyes...

"D-Dad... M-Mom..." Smoker cried, just feeling so helpless now that two of his figures were gone, nowhere in this world now...

But he remembered Reina in his arms. Smoker checked to see if she was hurt or not, but she was still sleeping.

How could it be that she was able to sleep throughout this whole event?

"It's me and you now Reina..." Smoker was holding his tears back while trying to smile at the small child in his arms.

When the child opened her eyes, she saw Smoker smiling at her.

"Smokey!" She smiled and Smoker held back the tears.

"Yeah, that's me Reina, Smokey." Hugging her close to her body.

And the rest was history for the two.