Dye My Wings Red (Chapter 2)

New Student...Rumbling Hearts

My lesbian best friend, Danny Summers, rushed into my house with exciting news. She was loud, eccentric, funny, loving and most of all not afraid to be who she was. Our freshman year she opened up a lesbian host club. It was a big hit and till this day still running. She is out going, outspoken, bold, encouraging, basically she is the sunny side of our friendship. "Guess what I just heard from Jerald Marshall?" I had to think on that name, I couldn't put a face to his name.

"What did you hear" I put on my clothes in front of her, ya after a while it was like before I found out she was. It was normal to be with her, I could never get rid of her even if I tried. Jerald her social guru, how could I forget, lanky extremely tall, handsome face, nice brown eyes and glasses. I used to think it would be Danny and him together till she dropped the bomb on everyone.

She was squealing, it must be big news. "There are new neighbors three houses down. Ohh I hope she is hot and likes sports." And there she went off into LaLa Land. I choked on my toothbrush, trying not to let it show in my face. Daston.

"New neighbors huh?" I tied my hair into two neat pigtails. I thought maybe he'd like me better if I was in school clothes. I had low rise skinny jeans, a black tank top and purple cardigan on. 

"Cute. As always with you anyway." She winked and we were on our way down to East Bay High. We talked along the way, I counted one house, two house, three house. "There it is!" More squealing. "I hope they are worth looking into." I knew better I knew who he was, I knew what he was but I wasn't afraid.

She dragged me along to some of the guys we usually walk with. I recognized Daston from the messy black hair. They were all tall well built guys. It was ridiculous to think that so many of us would associate with each other. "So you two, ready for the dance?" my heart sank as I turned around staring in to Jerry's eyes. He looked nervous. "Oh its okay little red, I'm sure that you'll get a date." He placed his arm around me, more heat flushed through. It was like I was having my own personal summer.

"Oh hey, this guy is Daston Cane. He just moved in. This guy is  fly, no doubt about it. With him there won't be one girl who won't get with us." Mark Ryans, tall blonde hair, not too bright, a bit of a player but he was a runner. "Move on Mark", he had a new girl every few weeks. Henry Turner and Jacob Signs both gave him a good slap on the shoulder.

It was hard to believe him and Jerry were twins. Jerry was more reserved, respected woman and didn't leave them when someone hotter came along. He had the same green eyes, but his hair was dark. They both ran track, we called them "The Dynamic Duo". 

"Hey Daston, I'm Danny and this beautiful red head is Sonia." He smiled at my name, he could taste it on his tongue. 

"Sonia and Danny? Nice to meet the both of you." He was wearing a black t-shirt and jeans. He was so normal, so human. Almost as if last night was just a dream. It was insane to believe that behind those eyes hid a beast. 

"Sorry but I'm taken." she teased Daston and all the guys cracked up. It was funny to watch her, she was just her and thats what everyone loved about her. "Sonia though, is not. I mean if you want to take a swing at her." My face matched my hair, I let my head drop. It wasn't worth denying or fighting.

His dark eyebrows arched, like he was considering it. Too late, we had made it to school. This time I dragged Danny to class, she was always late going over plans to make her host club that much better. Amazing how she had so much drive, ambition, and passion for what she does.

_____________________________________________________________________________

In class on time. Finally a chance to start over. Hello new semester. I sat in the same seat, next to the window staring out at the beautiful sky. I was a hopeless, loveless, dreaming romantic. Love wasn't really ever on the menu with me, I didn't have time.

Our teacher walked in, he was twenty-eight rather good looking, I think the only good thing about homeroom was him. We'd sit there for forty-five minutes and do anything from homework to making out. "Ahem, class we have a new student. I know some of you may have heard and others may have not. This class, is Daston Cane." He waved to the class and flashed a smile directed at me. I felt the eyes of jealous girls, and heard the thunder of rumbling hearts. "Daston this is homeroom you sit wherever there is room." Mr. Williams sat back down and took out the attendance. Girls were fighting each other to get him to sit next to them. 

Of course I'd be the one nerd, red hair, glasses and straight A's. He pulled up a chair and so it all began. He leaned his right arm on the table and looked at me. A smile crossed my face. "Welcome to high school." We both laughed. 

"So this is where you go. I don't understand or see the point in it. I mean you're brilliant and yet you sit in the back all alone." His voice was drawn to a whisper but even that was sexy.

"I just am not like other girls, I don't fight over guys and I sure as hell don't give myself to guys who will leave after they get what they want. I'm better alone." He shook his messy moppy head and laughed at me. 

"Sonia, if I asked you to go out with me would you turn me down like you turned Jerry down?" I shot a nervous look into his eyes. My throat dried up, I had no voice. "Sonia, I'm asking you out."

"Uhhhh" I leaned in close to his ear, "Promise me one thing."

In my ear a gentle reply, his breath went straight down my neck, "Anything."

"Never leave me." He smiled.

"Done." He pushed back a strand of hair that had come out of my pigtail.

"Yes." He grabbed my face with one gentle hand and kissed my forehead.

"Sonia I have been meaning to tell you this. Another reason I came here." I looked up at him, scooching closer in my chair. "I met you before. In a dream, you were calling out to me. You had fallen from the heavens."

"Wait so I'm an angel, then what color are my wings?" He shook it off, there was something he was hiding.

"No it was a dream or a vision or I don't know what exactly, but you're in danger. Your wings were red, the only angel with red wings. As I am the only one with blue. I loved you, you were my princess." Another abrupt stop he grabbed his head.

"What happened?" He shrugged, "You woke up?" He nodded. So was my fate to die, who was going to kill me, why red wings?

Homeroom was a battlefield, death stares and venom being mixed with my name. I didn't mind it though, I was used  to them lying about me. We sat together and passed notes. Finally it was over time for gym. When we got outside the class room he pushed me against the wall. "Why do you let them talk about you like that?" I got off the wall and headed for gym. "We have the same schedule, so don't try to avoid me."

"They're not worth my time. So I just let them waste their breath on me." We walked he grabbed my hand, our fingers linked. "How do yo become an angel, I mean like not having to die."

A dark mood came over him. He looked at me, ice the warm ocean had frozen. "You must love an angel. I won't allow you to take your life." We kept walking. 

Trent was teacher's aid to my P.E. class, overbearing and over protective. 

I wondered if he'd remember Daston, life could always get more interesting.