Meet the Parents

Brandon is staring at me with his mouth wide open.

"But... how? What?

Just then the bell rang. 

"Can we talk about this later? I have class."

"I really think we should talk now."

"Brandon, I cannot be late. I'm sorry. We can talk tomorrow."

I squeezed his hand and walked towards my photography class. I think I just ruined the best relationship I've ever had. I couldn't focus. Photography was my favorite class, and I couldn't bring myself to pay attention to anything. Along with this whole Brandon thing, today was my deadline to decide about Presleigh's birth certificate. Just then I had a idea. I turned around.

"Cassidy! Meet me after class, I need your help with something."

She nodded. After the bell rang I told her everything about the birth certificate and about Brandon.

"What if we could get Ryan to sign the birth papers without him knowing."

"You mean forge his signature."

"No. You know how we have to make a survey for photography, I could pretend that the papers are for our project."

"That might work. Tell him to come over to your house. I can watch Presleigh if you need."

I drove Cassidy to my house right after school. She took Presleigh to the park and I grabbed the papers Dr. Brown had sent me. After Ryan pulled up in my driveway, I invited him in to work on our "project". I put our assignment over the documents, so just the signature line was sticking out. He signed it with no suspicion and then left a few minutes later.   

Ryan left and Cassidy came back to drop off Presleigh. She had stayed for awhile to hang out and play with Presleigh while I made dinner.

"Do you want anything to eat?"

"I'm good. I should go soon anyway."

Just then I heard a knock at the door.

"Can you get that?" I asked Cassidy.

She walked over to the door.

"Hailey, it's for you."

I looked over at the door and saw Brandon standing there. I quickly picked up the scattered baby toys off the floor.

"Is this why I'm never allowed inside."

"Sorry, uh- come in."

I picked up Presleigh, put her in her highchair, and fed her some dinner before I sat down to talk to Brandon.

"I know this is kind of crazy, and I don't expect you to stay with me. This is what I was hiding, I just don't want her dad to know."

"I get it, and i'm not leaving you. I love you."

I looked at his big blue eyes and bit my lip.

"I love you too."

"She looks so big, how old is she?"

"Almost 2, her name is Presleigh."

"Is this why you moved, that was about 2 years ago, right?"

"Yea, I just needed a change. And you know the dad lives here and I don't want him to know."

"Whos the dad? Does he go to our school?"

"I don't want to talk about that right now. Another time?"

"Sure." 

Presleigh started crying, so I went to pick her up, but Brandon interrupted. 

"Let me." Brandon said, and picked her up out of her high chair. She smiled and laughed at him. He smiled back.