seven | drinking the finest label

1122 words

Chenle pulled up in front of a fancy looking restaurant, lit up by spotlights and firewarmers sat around a collection of high-top tables and bar stools outside.

"Let's go here," he said, pulling into the carpark next door.

"Are you sure? It looks a little... expensive," you asked, uncertain.

"Yeah, don't worry about it. It looks nice! I'll pay," He reassured.

"Oh, no no," you began to deflect. "You really don't need to-"

"[y/n]," Chenle stopped you. "I'll pay. It's fine."

After finding a park, Chenle held your hand and walked you through the entrance of the restaurant to meet a slim, uniformed waitress waiting at a desk.

"Table for two?" Chenle asked.

"Of course, right this way." The waitress stood up and brought you through the busy and crowded tables to a small booth fit with a red rose in the middle of the table with small candles either side of it.

"I feel a bit underdressed," you say to Chenle, looking around at all the dressed up, rich-looking people who sat at the surrounding tables.

Chenle nodded in agreement. "It's alright," he comforted, also looking around. "We're underdressed together," he shrugged, pointing down to his jeans and worn out sneakers with a snicker.

The waitress came back again with two menus and a jug of water.

"Can I help you to any drinks to start off with?" She asked politely.

"I'll have a lemon-lime please," Chenle requested. "Want anything?" He asked, turning to you.

"I'm fine with water, thanks," you nodded at the waitress. You didn't want to leave Chenle completely broke after tonight, you were already feeling a bit iffy looking at the prices of the meals on the menu.

"No, get something!" Chenle insisted. You pointed down to the prices on the menu with a concerned look, but he just shook his head. "It's fine, I promise. I want you to get something!"

You turned your eyes down to the drinks menu and scanned it for something that looked appealing, but Chenle began to order for you. "She'll have your finest drink on the menu. Have you got something really special? Something expensive?" The waitress gave Chenle a confused look, but still picked up the menu to look inside.

"Well, sir, you're clearly underage so I can't offer you any of our fine wines," she explained. "The best I can offer is our premium, house-made iced-tea."

Chenle shrugged and looked at you. "You like iced-tea?" He asked.

You let out a small laugh. "Sure," you nodded, still smiling at his generosity.

"No worries!" The waitress wrote down your order on the little notepad in her hands and walked away again.

"What was that?" You asked Chenle, laughing.

"What? We're out at a fancy restaurant, we might as well make the most of it!" Chenle defended, still looking proud. After a few minutes of reading through the menu, he grabbed your hand and looked you right in the eyes.

"Listen, I know you're probably still a bit uncertain about everything," he said empathetically. "And I understand, you can take your time with it all – there's no pressure," he nodded. "If you want to, we can just take things slowly. Ease in, you know?"

You nodded, not saying a word but letting him know you agreed. You didn't expect Chenle, or anyone for that matter, to be so understanding of your perspective. How could someone be so caring and thoughtful, so perfect? It was easy to get lost in his eyes, but getting lost in his words like that was a whole other story. You could have been ready just to give yourself away completely to him right in that moment, but agreed it was best to take things slowly and just see how it goes before you give in completely.

You and Chenle began to start talking again, and the waitress soon returned with the drinks and a small device to take your orders.

"Here you go, sir," the waitress said, placing a tall glass in front of Chenle before giving you your tea. "Are you both ready to order?"

"Yeah! I'll have the pasta please," you said.

"And for you?" The waitress asked, looking at Chenle.

"I'll have what she's having," he said with a grin.

"Perfect!" The waitress said, taking down your orders. "They won't be long."

You took a sip of your premium iced-tea, Chenle watching you with very expectant eyes.

"So, how is it?" He asked.

"Oh, it's premium alright. You can't get iced-tea like this back home," you said, honestly shocked at the flavour of the drink.

"See, it's worth it! I'm glad you like it," he smiled back.

Just like the waitress had promised, it wasn't long before two big plates full of spaghetti were served in front of you. "Enjoy your meals!" She exclaimed before walking back to the kitchen.

"Wow," Chenle said, wide-eyed. "These are huge."

"I know," you agreed, "but I'm starving," you said, taking a big mouthful.

Chenle laughed at your enthusiasm and joined in, twirling the pasta around his fork and putting it into his mouth. He looked up at you again, letting out a small giggle.

"What?" You asked, confused but matching Chenle's playful expression.

He pointed up to the corner of his mouth. "You got a little..." he began, reaching over to you to wipe your mouth with his thumb.

"Oh geez, that's so embarrassing," you said, wiping the napkin across your lips. "All gone?" You checked. Chenle shook his head, pointing a little bit further up your left cheek. You let out a gasp and quickly wiped to where his finger was pointed. "What about now?"

"Mmm, no." Chenle shook his head again, now pointing to your right eyebrow. You opened your eyes even wider in shock, but finally realised he was doing to you exactly what you had done to him the time you both went for ice cream. You slumped your shoulders, sending him in to fits of laughter.

"Wow," you said bluntly with disappointment.

"I learnt from the best," Chenle shrugged, not trying too hard to contain himself. You shook your head again at him teasingly, soon being infected by his contagious happiness.

You continued eating, being slightly more careful this time not to let your lips turn orange from the pasta sauce. You were about to take another mouthful when you thought you heard your name being whispered from across the room.

"Is that [y/n]? With a new guy?!" The whispers echoed, getting louder as laughs began to creep up behind you. You turned around to find two very familiar, but very unwelcome faces.

"Well, what do we have here?"